Chapter Three

Ethan stared at his arm as the family started to clean up. The blood was seeping through the bandage his mother had wrapped around him to keep his arm straight. There were no experts on broken bones in the village, so everyone figured that if it wasn't bent out of its original shape, it was going to heal in the days to follow. There was a huge bulge and Ethan knew it was blue just underneath, but the fabric covered it.

     "Can I help with something?" He asked.

     "No, nothing!" Isabel barked. "You are to sit and stay quiet because you're hurt."

     Isabel was a miniature version of their mother, and she had the same yelling streaks. Both meant well, but it was a little intimdating, even if neither one made it over Ethan's elbow. He watched Isabel work to straighten up everything around their hut. There wasn't much work to do, but there were things, such as moving the sacks of food, and picking up the basket of water that were meant to be his job. The women and his father shouldn't have to work just because he was an idiot.

     "Do you think it's supposed to be bleeding that much?" Nicko asked loudly. He had slightly fairer skin just like the girls, but wore his dark hair and blinked the same dark eyes as Ethan and their father. He was only five years aged and wasn't forced to do much work yet. He was sitting on Ethan's pile of blankets next to his older brother with his nose only a few spaces away from the bandage.

     Ethan smiled. "Probably not, but I'll be okay. I always am, right Nicko?"

     The little boy smirked. "Yeah, maybe you can play catch the stone with me tomorrow when you're better."

     "I don't think he's going to be any better by tomorrow Nicko," their mother commented as she walked in from outside with the dry clothes.

     Nicko gave a small frown and Ethan leaned forward to whisper, "We'll see by tomorrow won't we?"

     The little brother grinned and jumped up to skip to sit with Sara, his twin sister. They looked nothing alike, but they got along pretty well. Ethan leaned back to sit against the wall, just under the window with the wood covering it. On rainy nights, the water would leak in and drip just on his bed; that was why his bed was usually moved away from the window on rainy nights.

     "There's going to be a fire out at the hill top tonight. Do you feel up to going?" Ethan's father asked him as he walked in the door with muddy hands.

     "Of course," Ethan smiled. Fires, though extremely hot in the already hot climate, were always fun. He might not be able to jump around or dance to thank the Gods for their blessings, but he was still able to hear the stories and enjoy the chance to laugh with more than just his family.

     Fires were the group gatherings of the whole village where choices were made, food was shared, dances were experienced, and couples were announced. It was the one time when there was no pressure to get food or worry about children. Everyone was free.

     "Well it's going to start at sundown, so we should probably start heading up there soon. Everyone ready to go?" Their mother called out. Heads turned to check each other's faces before the group nodded, including their father. "All right, let's go."

     Sara and Nicko tried to help Ethan up, even though he was fine getting up with one arm, and guided him out the door. Each one took a side as they marched up the hill following Isabel and their parents. Isabel walked in between their mother and father, finding that to be her favorite spot. Other families started to head out and join in the movement up the hill. At the very top was the leader of the village and the Great Worship Fire. Both weren't visited unless it was a fire night, because there was never a need.