Chapter 25

Elijah was exhausted the next morning, but he got ready in a hurry.

He wanted to confront Tia about ... everything, and, honestly, he was not excited about dredging up the past. He was never one to shy away from sharing his opinion, or being anxious about talking to people. But this was different. He wasn't sure he'd ever had to apologise for something so egregious before.

Also, he wasn't sure how he was going to apologise. He wasn't prepared to tell Tia about his mother, so how was she going to buy that he'd forgotten it ever happened? The more he thought about it, the queasier he felt. He left his room at half past nine, certain she'd be out there waiting for him.

But she wasn't.

Tia, for her part, awoke very late the next morning – at half past nine. She jumped out of bed and did everything as fast as she possibly could. They couldn't be late because of her. Elijah would never let her live it down.

Elijah paced just outside her door, wringing his hands, now almost worried that something might have happened to her. She'd never come out after him – not even when she was sick. Finally, at ten to ten, he knocked on her door. He heard her rushing about. It sounded as though she were speaking to herself.

"Sorry!" she cried from the other side of the door. "I'll be right out." He stood there, tapping his feet. Her lateness wasn't helping his nerves. After a few more minutes, the door flung open.

"Good morning," he said, looking her up and down. She had been rushing about but looked completely composed, in a pale pink sundress and sandals, hair falling in waves to her shoulders. He was reminded of what he'd apparently called her, and his stomach twisted with guilt.

"Uh, yeah, you too," she replied, with a vague smile. "Sorry, I'm late. I woke up at 9:30. I guess I was really tired from yesterday," she said, rushing to the door.

"That's alright. Hey, listen," he said, before she could open it. She looked at him, hand on the doorknob. "I have to talk to you."

"About what?" she asked, nose wrinkling.

"Uhh, it's kind of complicated."

"Okay, let's talk on the way down to the lobby."

"No. I have to talk to you here, alone...it might take a while..." he said, then realised he never even should've brought it up.

Tia's eyes widened. Alone? "Uh, I don't think it's a great time. We're kind of late," she said. He bit his lip.

"Uh, yeah...yeah, you're right. We'll talk later." She eyed him, very curious and puzzled. "It's cool. Let's go," he said, and she opened the door, still thinking. But they had to go or else they'd be late. They walked out of the door and caught the elevator down to the lobby. Both were still thinking about the talk they needed to have.

Only difference was Elijah knew what it was about. Tia didn't. And it was beginning to eat at her.

-

On the agenda today was a trip down the Great Ocean Road, one of the most famous roads in the world. They were heading down to Apollo Bay to see the Twelve Apostles and walk through a rainforest and do some activity called the Fly Tree-Top Walk. Tia hadn't a clue what that was, but she was excited.

Figg tried to give them a history lesson about the Great Ocean Road and all the places they passed, but nobody was really listening. Besides, it was such a dizzying drive it was difficult for her to face the students.

-

"This is horrible," Tia mumbled to Elijah, hours later.

They'd visited the Twelve Apostles and even saw koalas in the trees they passed on the walkway. Tia was having a splendid time. She'd not even thought about how Elijah wanted to speak with her - alone - because everything around her was absolutely fantastic. But then the Fly Tree-Top Walk  came, and she wished she was anywhere else. They'd walked into a forest, walked until they reached the middle, where there was some sort of bridge. Facing their fears was supposed to be over, but apparently this one 'wasn't that scary', according to Figg. They'd just have to follow the bridge up, up, up, until they were suddenly walking above the canopy. The steady progression would mean it wasn't scary at all. Tia begged to differ! She'd tried to get out of it, but there was no way.