Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Hearts in love ... are wildly naïve

The setting sun cooled off the evening while the candelabrum warmed it back up. There were lights, colors and magic even if the people surrounded refused to see it.

 Zoya could hear the commotion outside. She took a deep breath when Dilshad came to escort her.

Be still heart. Be still.

Her Allah Miyan's warped sense of humour plagued her conscience, but there was no place for a despairing Zoya Faaroqui tonight. Bottom line? She was doing it for the woman who was the mother she never had. For the moment, she'd disregard her own anxieties. 

Dilshad set Zoya's dupatta one last time and smiled, encouraging her to do the same.

She was staring at the floor, looking forlorn and...beautiful when he first spotted her.

Wow.

What was he about to say, he didn't remember. What had been said to him, he didn't remember. The sight of her was what remained.

When Najma came to her excitedly, the smile she gave brought him back to reality – Reality where only he and Zoya endured.

She finally looked up meeting his eyes and... the tears in them.

'Saugaat main kya denge', she had asked him.

What could he? ... How could he?

When life gave him a gift so far beyond his expectations, how could he? When she'd dressed up as his bride – even though unpromised – what could he?

Nothing he could give her would mirror the way he felt this moment. Sometimes you don't realize how much you want something until you see it happening in front of your very own eyes. Right now, with Zoya walking towards him –for him– Asad hadn't known happy before.

She passed him; painfully close, playfully smiling. Was it possible that his chest could be set on fire with just a smile? A look?

Asad had forgotten where they were, until his sister came to grab him to sit by her 'bhabhi'. Why was he suddenly shy? Like everyone would read his mind if she came any closer. He looked for a reaction from Zoya – something, anything ­– but she denied him her eyes.

"Asad" Dilshad signalled.

Grateful for his Ammi's reassuring voice, he made his way to where she sat.

***

After two hours thirty-seven minutes and twelve seconds, she stopped pitying herself ­– for now.

Condolences to the maimed heart would continue soon in the dark ticks of clock. Presently her brain was occupied with more questions she could handle.

Wasn't phuphi supposed to be resting...why was she serving guests and running around?

Why weren't these people leaving...jaane ka kya lainge?

Mr. Khan had friends?... humans he'd been laughing and chatting with...like a normal person?

Where did she keep Tanveer's blood samples...Allah Miyan why couldn't she remember?

Itni bhookh lagi hai...when will these people leave for goodness' sake?!

"Ugh" Zoya grunted out loud unknowingly. Asad's eyes moved towards her curiously.