Chapter 9: Saying Goodbye

In the morning...

It was time to go home. As we walked out of our houses, we saw that the village was almost empty.

"Hey, Matthew! Are you ready?!" I yelled. Suddenly, we saw Brooklyn and some guys walking up to Greg and me.

I asked, "Who are they?"

Brooklyn said, "Oh, guess you guys haven't met yet. Guys, meet Greg and David. Greg and David, meet Alex, Ryan, and Justin."

Justin said, "Greg? Wow, you look different since I last saw you."

Greg's jaw dropped. Before that, I hadn't ever seen Greg speechless.

Justin continued, "Dude? You good?"

Greg quietly said, "I thought you were all dead."

I wasn't sure, but I looked like Greg was holding back tears. He took a deep breath.

Greg said, "Oh my god. It's great to see you guys are alive."

Brooklyn said, "They've been surviving with me. We decided we wanted to tag along with you."

I said, "That's fine with me as long as it's fine with Greg."

Greg said, "It's definitely fine with me."

"Then I guess you guys can come with," I said.

Matthew walked out of his house and said, "Hey, David. I've decided I'm not going. I'm staying here."

"Hey, guys. Can you excuse us for a moment?" I said. We walked inside the house.

"You are not!"

"Yes, I am!"

"I'm not leaving you by yourself!" Matthew got mad and turned around. Suddenly, he turned back around to face me, and he punched me across the face! I fell against the door and stood back up.

I looked back at him with a really angry but shocked expression. "OW! What's your deal lately?! You know what?! I don't care if you stay or not!"

Just as Greg was entering the room, I stormed out.

"Whoa! What went on in here?" Greg asked.

"I punched my brother," Matthew mumbled.

"What?!"

Matthew said, "I don't understand it."

"Understand what?"

"Why does he get to be so heroic and defeat all the monsters?"

"He cares about you. He doesn't want anything bad to happen to you. But you know, if you feel it's time for you to step up, just do it. Don't let him stop you. I will agree. He can be a bit overprotective, sometimes."

"Thanks."

"You bet." Greg walked out.

If you're wondering how I knew that, well Greg is my best friend so-- just think about it.

As we left the village, all the villagers came to see us off. However, Matthew didn't even come out to say bye.

When we got home, the house seemed too quiet without my noisy little brother there. When we went mining, it was faster. Everything was faster. Our hunting, mining, preparing to go mining, food-collecting, wood collecting, and escaping and defeating monsters. I missed my brother so much. At least we got more jobs and mining done that day. As we headed inside to go to bed, I sat on my bed and looked at a picture of my brother. I sighed and laid down in my bed, then turned over on the opposite side of the picture.