Chapter 10: "I Remember!"

The very next day, I didn't get that much sleep, maybe only about an hour of sleep but I don't know. I could hardly keep up with the animals, because I kept tripping and falling, making it hard to get food. Later, we went mining, again. As we were heading down to where we mine, I tripped and started tumbling towards the edge, but I grabbed the ledge just in time.

I screamed, "Help!"

As Greg and Brooklyn were running to help, I was slipping. They were just getting there when the area of rock I was holding onto broke. The next thing I knew, I was falling. Suddenly, I stopped. I looked up and noticed that Greg had barely grabbed my hand before I fell to my doom.

As he pulled me up he said, strained, "Brooklyn, help." With them pulling together, they easily pulled me up.

I let out a huge sigh of relief. "Whew!" I said. "Thanks, guys.

"Yep," Greg said. I looked at them and they were sitting there, very relieved. Suddenly, an arrow almost hit me! I looked up and saw a whole bunch of skeletons getting ready to fire arrows at us.

I shouted, "RUN!!" As we ran, they started firing at us. Jumping and ducking, we dodged all the arrows. When we got to the part above the water, the rock near the edge gave out, causing me to fall off the path head first! I reached my hand out again to grab the ledge. I grabbed it only to swing by the body into the rock. My body had slammed so hard against the rock that I lost my grip and the rock started to crumble. I started to fall with huge chunks of rock all around me. I looked up and saw that Greg was able to jump to safety, but Brooklyn had fallen as the rock collapsed beneath her. When we hit the water, the rocks piled on us, however, leaving just enough space for us to move. As we held our breath, we tried to move the rocks from on top of us. I could tell Greg, Alex, Ryan, and Justin hopped down into the water, because it got easier to move the rocks. Soon, we were out of the rocks.

Brooklyn and I gasped for air. "Thanks. Things are not going our way," I said, still catching my breath. Brooklyn and I climbed out of the water and we all went to work.

We were mining for hours before I said, "We haven't had any luck. Do you just want to give up and go home?"

"Sure," Greg said, exhausted.

We started to walk towards the stairs up to the surface when we heard cracking. We stopped moving and looked at each other with panic. I looked down and there were cracks all over on the ground around us. "Oh, no."

The next thing we knew, we were falling into a cave. We landed in the water, and we swam to the edge and climbed out. I placed a torch, so we could see. The area was pitch black. We walked for a while and found a dead end. Although, we could hear water running and other cave noises on the other side. We mined through and found a huge mine. There was a bridge that had broken and a river far below.

"This place looks familiar," Brooklyn said, astonished.

Greg said. "This can't be..."

"Our old mine," Alex said.

"Where'd Brooklyn go?" Ryan said.

"I don't know," I said looking around.

Over in the distance, Brooklyn said, "What's this?"

Greg said cautiously, "Brooklyn, get away from there. If I'm correct, that's the cave where-"

Suddenly, loud screeching came from the cave. Purple eyes started to appear from the darkness. The screeching stopped as the creature walked out of the shadows. Brooklyn just stood there as the creatures, endermen, got closer and closer.

"Run, Brooklyn!!" Greg shouted. Brooklyn just stood there. I sprinted to grab her with my sword slashing to knock the enderman out of the way. I grabbed her arm and sprinted away.

I shouted to Greg, "Go! Get to the exit!" Brooklyn finally snapped out of it, saw the endermen, and started running without me pulling her along. When Brooklyn and I got to the rest of the group, Greg led us to the exit. Before the enderman could catch us, we got out of the exit and into the daylight. Brooklyn had a dead look on her face. She looked at us and, weirdly, she smiled.

"I remember," she said, laughing. "I remember!"

"Yes!" Greg shouted. Alex, Ryan, and Justin started laughing and rejoicing with him.

We went inside to get ready for bed. All of a sudden, we heard a loud bang. It sounded like something hit the roof of our house. I volunteered to go up and check it out, so I  climbed the ladder to the second floor, and I went out onto the porch. I slowly turned the corner and walked up the stairs leading to our treehouse. Yeah, we built a treehouse in our spare time. When I got on the treehouse level of our house, there was a short man standing in front of it. "Who are you?" I asked him, startling him. He jumped a little, and I was able to catch a glimpse of his face.

"Matthew?" I asked. He looked up at me, smiled, and started to collapse. I ran over to him and caught him. I walked him down to where everyone else was.

Greg ran over and caught his breath, "Hey, Matthew."

"He's weak. He needs to rest," I mentioned, laying him down on his bed. Brooklyn climbed the ladder to her bed upstairs.

I whispered to Greg, "We better get some rest, too. Tomorrow is the day we meet our biggest challenge ever. It could either be our everest... or it could be our doom."