Episode 1

In a forest filled with lush green trees and woodland creatures, şehzade Suleiman is enjoying a beautiful autumn day, hunting for delicious meat. He has suddenly interrupted by a messenger bringing him extremely important news. Little did he know, that this letter would bring him both happiness, power, and strength, as well as sadness and tears. He opened the letter that would seal his fate until the day he died. He read it carefully and took a deep breath. He didn't know what he had expected when he opened that letter to read it, however it certainly wasn't this. His mind was racing with thoughts, however he soon managed to smile and realized that he was now the Sultan of the mighty Ottoman Empire.  Yes, that's right, his father, Sultan Selim I had passed away, and it was now his turn to sit on the golden throne of the Ottoman Empire started by his courageous ancestor Osman I. Could a 26 year old prince become a mighty sultan of the Ottoman Empire, would he make a good ruler? Well, this story isn't about that. It's about the women hidden behind the walls of Topkapi Palace, the real rulers of the world. 

"Don't drink the dirty Ottoman soup!"roared a young woman traveling on a ship with several other young women just like her. Black marks covered her fair skin and dirt darkened her long, golden hair. She was meant to be a slave girl, but she was anything but a slave. She was ready to pierce a sharp knife into the chest of the cruel kidnappers who were dragging her across the deep blue ocean and taking her to Topkapi Palace. She yelled at everyone who she came across, she spat in the kidnapper's faces and threatened to murder them. She was fierce, she wasn't going to let herself be dragged along, tortured and used. She was determined to not let herself be the toy of an Ottoman Sultan. However, even this fierce, courageous woman couldn't stop herself from being taken to an unknown land as a slave. She was grateful to at least have her friend Maria by her side as she was about to leave the ship and be forcefully pushed into the Harem of Sultan Suleiman. Oh, and by the way, her name was Alexandra. But not for long :). Alexandra had everything stolen from her, she had lost all her loved ones, she was not going to let herself be crushed by greedy and evil conquerers, like the way her parents and sister were tortured and killed by the Tatars. Alexandra had no-one else but Maria, as she was about to enter   the harem, a place deadlier than the battlefield. As soon as Alexandra and Maria entered the harem, there were Kalfas (women who discipline slaves and concubines in the harem) and Agas (guards, cooks, and eunuchs who discipline slaves and concubines in the harem) inspecting many other slaves who had been brought her by brutal force just for the pleasure of the Sultan. They were grabbing their faces by the cheeks and selecting the ones they thought were the prettiest to be sent to wash up and wear clean clothes. Alexandra already hated this place, when one of the Agas, Sümbül Aga, grabbed her, she went mad. She started screaming and demanding that he let her go. As she was screaming and protesting, Valide Sultan (the Sultan's mother) was passing by from the upper floor. She heard the commotion and looked down at the lower floor. She rolled her eyes and told Gülfem Hatun (one of the Sultan's concubines and a woman considered part of the royal family) to bring Alexandra to her because she was so annoyed with her misbehavior and her ear-piercingly loud screeching. 

When Alexandra was taken to her, she begged to be either killed or released. Valide Sultan refused. She already hated this woman so much. She ordered the guards to take her away. She shook her head in frustration and disbelief as she looked at her daughter, Hatice Sultan (Sultan's sister, a princess of the Ottoman Empire). Hatice tried to comfort her, but it was no use. 

After going to hamam and having a bath, Alexandra, Maria, and several other slaves were taken to their beds for their first night staying in the harem. Alexandra was dreading spending her first night in what felt like hell for her. They were rushed to their mattresses and given lectures about manners and what was to happen the next day. Nigar Kalfa (one of the women/kalfas in charge of managing the harem and discipling concubines and slaves) started giving a long lecture when Alexandra threw her nightgown on the floor. "You are all Sultan Suleiman's property"she said, then she went up to Alexandra and grabbed her by the towel she was wrapped in. "And the one who spoke Russian with you was our Valide Sultan (Queen Mother), She is our Sultan's mother" Nigar Kalfa continued. Then once everyone was busy getting undressed and Daye Hatun (manager of the harem and Valide Sultan's most trusted servant) had left. Nigar Kalfa dragged Alexandra to a corner and said to her in a somewhat quiet voice "We all came here as slaves. If you come to your senses, maybe you won't stay a slave. Receive your education, shut up, and behave. All the girls here are prepared for the sultan. If you are chosen and you make the sultan happy, and, if you give birth to a boy, you will become the haseki sultan, you will rule the world". These words would stay with Alexandra forever. 

Ayse Hatun, one of the favourites of the sultan started to chat with Alexandra. This is when Alexandra first heard the name of someone she would soon think of as a nasty, cruel witch who would become one of her biggest enemies. Ayse Hatun mentioned Sultan's favourite woman/consort named Mahidevran Sultan. The mother of şehzade Mustafa. Alexandra asked Ayse "Where is she? here?". "She is coming from Manisa soon"Ayse responded. Alexandra smiled hesitantly. She had no idea what type of troubles that woman would bring to her life. 

Valide Sultan planned a grand feast for her son where beautiful concubines would be dancing, singing, and entertaining the sultan. Mahidevran Sultan arrived from Manisa just before the feast and was angered when she heard the news. She was burning with jealousy that on her first night  at Topkapi Palace, the sultan would be surrounded by beautiful women and enjoying a delicious feast without her. 

At the feast, Alexandra was determined to impress the sultan. She wanted to become one of the favourites like Ayse Hatun. Nigar Kalfa's words had inspired her to make the most out of her situation and try to become a powerful woman in the harem. (which would take years, maybe even a lifetime). Alexandra began to dance and she was trying her best to enchant the sultan. (no matter how much she hated him at that moment) She kept dancing elegantly and soon she won over the sultan, at least a little. He threw her a handkerchief to show that he liked her. Alexandra blushed and was filled with happiness on the inside. Why? because she was hopeful that Nigar Kalfa's words would come true. 

Alexandra was even more hopeful the next day when she was told that that night, she was going to be spending the night with the sultan because he liked her so much. Alexandra told Maria something that somehow reached the Valide's ears and fueled her hatred for Alexandra even more. "I will not just spend one night with Sultan Suleyman but 1001 nights and turn him into my slave" she said. Maria was shocked at how Alexandra could say such a thing. But that was just how Alexandra was, a woman not afraid of anything or anyone. 

Alexandra was taken along the famous golden road (not actually a road just a corridor) to the sultan's chamber that night and waited outside with Agas and Kalfas behind her. Sultan Suleiman was so excited to see Alexandra, however he was met with disappointment. the doors opened, but when he turned around, he was met with a huge surprise. (a bad surprise). It wasn't Alexandra who had come into his room, it was Mahidevran.