Chapter 6

THE SQUARE WAS FILLED with cheering people. They were applauding and screaming, darted around like a wild-water river. The spotlights went on again and revealed Kennelyn McIntyre standing on a podium on the port side of the bar. 'People, people, please!' she bellowed into her microphone, a broad smile frozen on her face. 'I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we really do have to continue to the next act!' Her short red-blue hair danced with every word she said and her blue eyes shone happily. She was in her element, all alone on that big stage, that was clear. The crowd gradually calmed down and everyone sat down again on the chairs that had been carefully placed in rows, so everyone had a as good as possible view on the stage.

'Ah, that's better', Kenna said. If it was even possible, her smile seemed to grow even wider. 'Now, I'd like to welcome the Starlight Band for their third performance. Everybody give it up for Victory Elois Dittmar, Harold McCoy, FaizanTremeni, Aridiya Neriouix, Jastre Ochiovik, Idony Kelhøst and myself!'

Again, the crowd went crazy. The lighting changed and six more people appeared on stage, all of them holding or sitting behind an instrument. When the audience had once again died down, the band started playing Shut Up And Dance, an early twenty-first century song from Earth.

When they neared the end of the sing, virtually everyone who in the Square had gotten up and was dancing or singing along. Even Fujita – who was standing next to her daughter Captain Delia Diru-Kirk, who had come aboard for a few days while she was on leave – had gotten up.

'This is amazing!' Delia said loudly, a broad smile stuck on her face.

The song had ended and Kenna – after another loud round of applause from the audience – was on her own on the stage again, ending the evening by thanking some of the few people who had arranged the open stage. After she had finished, most of the audience got up and walked over to the bar to get some drinks.

Fujita and Delia had gotten up as well and walked over to a table in a corner of the Square.

'These open stages you have set up are a brilliant idea, I never thought it would turn out this well', Delia stated.

Fujita laughed. 'It seemed to work pretty well on Voyager, might as well have tried.'

'I wish I'd have thought of it, it's such an amazing way to connect the crew. I mean, most of these people have only know each other for seven months, but they seem closer than some crews are eve after a few years.'

'Well, that's not all my doing. This crew is just amazing', Fujita said, but she felt a wave of pride rush through her.

'That they are', said a voice behind the two women, and Commander Anderson pulled up a chair. 'Can I join you?'

'Of course', Fujita answered. 'Have you two met yet?'

Delia shook her head and stuck out her hand. 'I believe we haven't, I'm Delia Diru.'

'Christopher Anderson, it's a pleasure meeting you', the Commander said, and he shook the woman's hand. 'I'm the first officer of the ship.

'Ah, Fujita's told me about you.' Delia smiled politely.

'Oh, she did?' Anderson responded while jokingly pulling up an eyebrow.

Fujita rolled her eyes but smiled. She and Anderson had gotten quite close the past four months, and they often joked around a bit.

'But in all seriousness, Diru', the Commander continued, 'you managed to put up an exemplary show yet again.'

'Oh it wasn't my doing, you know that.'

'Well', Delia stated, 'It might be that barkeep of you who actually arranges it all, but it's still your idea. And your barkeep.' She laughed.

'Speaking about barkeeps', Fujita said with a genuine grin, 'Commander, can I get you a drink?'