Chapter 10

FUJITA SHOVED ASIDE A few white branches and entered the clearing in front of her. While she brushed away a few loose strands of hair that had fallen into her face, her eyes fell on the small village ahead of her. Ten small round huts were positioned into a circle, their dark contours stood out against the mix of green and white in the background.

Carefully, Fujita walked forward. She gestured for Valentino to follow her. As the two Starfleet officers neared the village, a creature came walking out of one of the houses and turned toward them. They had a brow fur that covered their entire ape-dog-like body. The ears stuck right up into the air, their eyes stared straight at Fujita.

The creature screeched. Then it ran away, out of Fujita's field of vision.

"What was that?" Valentino muttered.

"More like who", Fujita responded.

"Right, it's a 'who'."

Fujita shot a look at Valentino and raised her eyebrows. "They're always 'whos'."

Valentino looked uncomfortable and nodded. "Sorry."

Fujita looked back up and saw the alien reappear. They made a loud high-pitched sound and threw their hands up in the air. The Admiral could not make out what they were saying.

The alien stopped screeching and walked a bit closer to the Starfleet officers. A few meters away from them they stopped again. One of their sleek and hairy arms pointed to something behind him, something in the village.

"Ramiuesh!" the alien screamed.

Valentino froze. "What did he say?"

Fujita looked at her companion. "I believe Ramiuesh, or something like that."

"Oh my God." Valentino started running toward the alien, first slowly but gradually he sped up.

The alien started running as well, their pace more like a jumping, something a hare would do but on just two legs instead.

Fujita watched her officer go for a moment, confusion filling her mind. Then she went after him and the alien, into the village. She soon caught up with Valentino. When she did, she took him by the arm. "What the hell is going on?"

Valentino looked at the Admiral, his eyes big. "Ramirez. That's my captain."

Fujita looked at him with a puzzled look on her face. "Well... follow him", she said. The two of them started running after the alien, who had continued on their way.

---

The alien entered the forest on the other side of the clearing. They kept on running for a few meters, then came to a sudden halt. They looked at the two Starfleet officers, their eyes big, and once again pointed into the distance.

Fujita stared past the alien's hand. She saw nothing at first. The forest was a bond mix of green and white, like it had been before – possibly a little darker. The ground was littered with fallen leaves that had turned brown, almost black. The trees were filled with small red berries, so round and full that they seemed ready to explode.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Valentino looked at Fujita and opened his mouth to speak, but just before he did so, she raised her hand to stop him. She saw something in de distance, barely visible through the tightly packed trees. A figure– no... two figures seemed to be running away from them. One was brown and seemed to be jumping, the other–

"Come on!" Fujita yelled at Valentino, and she sprinted away. She partly turned around and looked at the alien, sending them a small and thankful smile. She did not know who they were, but they sure helped him.