Chapter 2

_Logan_

"Walker! You call that running? Pick up the pace or you'll run double the laps!" Mr. Cross calls from the bleachers, eyeing all his students running around the field.

"Sorry sir!" He pants, kicking his legs harder.

Cala jogs up beside him, panting heavily herself. "It's okay Logan, just three more laps and then showers. And lunch." She sighs, running a hand quickly through her dirty blond hair, tied up in a matted ponytail.

"Yeah, wonderful." He groans, hating the smell of himself. "Mr. Cross is cool with you dressed like that?"

Cala looks down at her black sports bra and loose short black shorts. "Well, technically I'm not supposed to, but you know me. Fuck the rules." She laughs, panting a bit harder after.

"Jackson! I didn't say you could stop! Keep running!" Their teacher yells.

"He's on a warpath today, isn't he?" Bas runs up along Logan's other side, brown hair plastered to his reddened face. His old hair dye shirt sticking grossly to his skin, much like Logan's tank top, which he has to keep peeling off himself.

"I hear he just got served divorce papers." A random girl says as she jogs past them with her friends, all of them gossiping.

"Oh joy, that means we're going to be doing laps all next week." Logan whines, kicking his legs harder. "Come on, let's get this over with."

After a few more laps, with only ten minutes of class to spare, they quickly shower, dressing in clean clothes before meeting outside by a picnic table. "That shit is crazy." Bas sighs, falling onto the bench.

"My legs are killing me." Logan groans, pressing a cold water he just bought to the back of his neck.

"That should be illegal, torturing kids because of marital problems. What an asshole." Calamity grunts, chugging her own water, now thankfully in a black tank top, though the armits go down to her waist.

"Well, at least it's lunch time." Bas says, pulling his lunch box from his bag, taking out a small tub of cookies. "Saved you some." He smiles, passing them out.

The trio eat in peace, surveying the school grounds and randomly eyeing the other teens who decided to eat outside.

"God, I'm exhausted." Logan rubs the back of his neck. "I'll be glad when this is over, and I can start moving towards leaving." He looks up at his friends, smiling softly. "We should find a college we all want to go to."

"That's going to be a little difficult, won't it?" Cala asks, taking a quick sip of soda when no one's looking.

"Perhaps, I mean, I just want to go into the medical field, you know. Maybe get into a clinic or something." Bas says, shrugging his shoulders as he munches on a cookie.

Logan nods. "Yeah, I was thinking something similar. My mom was an EMT, and I kind of wanted to do that, not just because she did, but because I want to help people. Ever since I told my dad I wouldn't join the military, he's seemed a little disappointed, so I thought maybe becoming an EMT could make him proud."

"Logan, I think that's a great idea, but only if you're doing it for yourself. If you take a job for someone else, you won't be happy." She looks down at her half eaten italian sub. "I kind of want to become a carpenter." She says suddenly, smiling to herself. "More women need to have jobs like that, and I love building stuff. I honestly have so much fun at the program through the school. They're nice to me too, so that's a plus."

They all nod, thinking to themselves about the future. 

"So, did you get to meet your dad's mysterious coworkers?" Bas asks, looking hopefully between the two, his blue eyes twinkling mischievously.