Part 47

My eyes grew wide as I realized what Aston was thinking, and before I could place my hand over his mouth or shut him up in any fashion, he threw out his idea…

“Jess can open for us,” he said smugly.

As soon as he was done I leaned over and gave him a major swat on the arm.

“What?” he asked, “You know just as well as I do that you could go out on that stage and get the crowd jumping for a good hour without even preparing anything.”

“Yeah but…”

“But what?” he challenged me. 

“I don’t know…” I said defeated, looking around the room. I was met with over a dozen pairs of eyes looking on to me expectantly for an answer.

“We’ll take whatever we can get,” pleaded the Director.

I looked at Aston again, he had the smuggest look on his face, I couldn’t believe him offering me up like that! In a way I was quite flattered, but the cheek of it!

“I’ll do it,” I sighed, “But you owe me,” I added, pointing at Aston. He just grinned back.

“Fantastic, now we’ve got to sort you out!” replied the Director.

With that I was rushed away from everyone and taken to the sound guys to make sure that I had all the equipment I needed. It was an odd stroke of luck that I’d decided to bring my laptop with me, so all I really needed was some turntables, a mixing board and maybe a keyboard. We dug around looking at things for a while and I managed to put together enough stuff to make it work. 

After getting all of the equipment together I climbed up on stage with a few of the technicians and got everything hooked up, doing a bit of a sound check myself. I couldn’t believe I’d agreed to do this, and as I stood on the stage I got a bit freaked out… there were going to be a lot of people here.

Just as quickly as I’d gotten whisked away to get my equipment together, I was pulled off by Chloe.

“Hey I got you an outfit,” she said.

“Oh, I was just going to wear this,” I replied, pointing to my t-shirt and shorts.

“Don’t be silly,” she replied. “If you’re going to be opening for some pop stars, you need to look like a pop star yourself.”

I let her drag me to one of the trailers, where there was all sorts of clothes. I watched as she pulled a dress from one of the racks. It was hot pink with black mesh in a few places. 

“I don’t know…” I said looking at it.

“You have to wear it,” she prodded. “It’s hot and it’ll look amazing with your hair.”

“But…” 

“Just try it,” she said pressing the dress into my hands. I went behind a screen in the trailer and slipped it on. It fit like a glove, but it wasn’t too tight. “Let’s see,” said Chloe, urging me to come out.

“Isn’t it a bit too much for this crowd” I asked.

“Nah…” replied Chloe. “It’s meant to be a back up outfit for one of the dancers…”

“How in the world could you dance in this?” I asked, looking at myself in the mirror that was propped up in the trailer. 

“When you’re a professional dancer you get used to dancing in just about anything,” laughed Chloe. “This looks amazing you know. Ast’s eyes when he sees you…”

“Shut up…” I laughed. We dug around in the trailer for a while trying to find some accessories to top off the outfit and then Chloe dragged me to another trailer where they were doing all of the dancer’s hair and makeup.