Chapter 2

3rd person POV
In the Library

"We're just gonna reintroduce ourselves as a formality. I am Detective Lieutenant Elliot, and this is Trooper Wagner." Elliot says, reintroducing himself and his fellow officer to Linda, who is sitting in front of them.

"Now, I'm going to record this, just to make things easier." Elliot explains, while placing his phone on the table in front of him, recording everything.

"All right, we're with Linda Drysdale nèe Thrombey, Harlan Thrombey's eldest daughter, and discussing the events that took place the night of his demise one week ago, November 8th." Elliot says, starting the interrogation.

"We're very sorry for your loss." Trooper Wagner says to Linda, sincerely.

"Thank you. That means a lot." Linda replies, sarcastically.

"So, we understand on that night the family had gathered to celebrate your father's 85th birthday?" Elliot asks Linda, looking down at his notepad.

"Yes." Linda replies

"How was it?" Elliot asks her

"The party? Pre-my-dad's-death? Oh, it was great." Linda replies, sarcastically.

"Did anyone besides the family show face?" Elliot asks her

(Flashback, the night of the party)

"Fran, the housekeeper." Linda says (off-screen)

"He was a nice guy, but he was so hairy. And I've dated Italian guys. You know what I mean? I was like..." Fran, the housekeeper, says to Jacob, Walt's son.

(Then the camera pans to Marta and Nancy, standing next to each other. Nancy drinking a glass of milk. Wearing a navy blue dress with white dots in it, her hair in her signature pigtails.)

"Marta, Harlan's caregiver

"Marta, Harlan's caregiver. And her daughter, Nancy. Their both good girls. And Marta's a hard worker. Marta's family's from Ecuador and Nancy's father is from America." Linda continues

"And Wanetta. Great nana. Harlan's mom."
(Camera shows Wanetta, standing around and not responding to Meg.)

"His mom? Wow. How old is she?" Elliot asks, surprised and curious

"We have no idea." Linda replies

"Okay... and your son, Ransom, did he attend as well?" Elliot asks.

(Camera shows Ransom storming out of Harlan's office and leaving, passing Wanetta as she asks him if he's leaving.)

"Yes, but he left early." Linda replies

(End of flashback)

(The camera shows a young man, behind Elliot and Wagner. The young man suddenly plays a single note on the piano next to him, getting everyone's attention)
"Right. Would you that all three of you showed up around the same time?" Elliot asks Linda