thirty-one

morgan

hiding what happened between ethan and i from josslyn is actually a lot harder than i thought. especially when she never stops asking questions about where ethan is.

"i don't know," i reply honestly each time she asks.

my guess is at the dean's. peter told me he hasn't seen him, and devin said he came back to the room while he was out and unpacked all his stuff, then left again.

it goes on like that for a couple of days. me being oddly quiet and only devin knowing why, ethan being MIA, and josslyn starting to get suspicious.

until finally, ethan shows up out of the blue one day like he hadn't been gone at all.

i practically stop in my tracks when i see his back facing me, sitting at our usual table in the dining hall. josslyn's face is ecstatic and so it peter's but devin glances back at me warily.

but i puff my chest out confidently, like he hasn't just hurt me for three days, and sit in my spot across from him quietly.

usually when i sit down, ethan turns his gaze to
me, smiling most of the time, or other times already starting to crack jokes about stupid things i did in the day.

but now, he doesn't even recognize that i've sat down. he just keeps talking to the other three about something i don't quite catch on to.

and when i look at his plate, there's no cherry cheesecake on it.

i try not to let my hurt show and quickly start to shovel pasta into my mouth. i don't speak at all during the meal until the very end.

"so, where were you?" i ask to him.

he looks at me briefly, confused that i addressed him directly. then he lowers his eyes. "just... where i always go."

"you missed a lot of your classes," i note.

"i'll catch up."

i clamp my mouth shut to stop myself from saying anything more, and peter takes over.

"so... did you see any cool stuff in seattle?" his voice is hopeful to break the uncomfortable tension that has settled around us like a ring.

"yeah, what happened?" joss adds perkily, smiling at us.

"a lot happened," i tilt my head at ethan. he avoids my gaze.

josslyn's smile wavers into a confused one for a second. "was it rainy?"

"kinda," ethan answers simply and takes a sip from his water.

"did you guys walk around the city?"

"mhm," he hums.

they all look confused, so i stare down at my plate and push my fork around in the food.

what will make him talk to me? or at least willingly be in my presence?

my chin raises up when i get the hopeful idea.
"hey, i'm gonna practice tonight."

peter gives me a funny look. "you always practice."