thirty-three

morgan

being showered with attention is a new feeling. i get endless praises from my music professors, and little notes from a couple of my regular teachers, as well.

i think it's a pretty big deal to get these awards.

devin explained to me last night that there's usually three ceremonies crammed into a year. three prodigy categories are chosen and they rotate every year.

this year just happened to be the musical year. along with dance and arts.

but, your class is only invited if someone in your grade is winning an award, which is why i haven't been to a ceremony yet.

there are six awards given for each prodigy. and i got two of them.

obviously josslyn and devin can come to watch me receive it since we're the same age, but luckily there was a senior nominee so peter and ethan will be able to come too.

if ethan even wants to. he hasn't spoken a single word to me about it.

that hits me really hard, especially when i think back to seattle in the paramount theatre.

"you're one in five million, morgan."

"i want you to remember how you feel right now, for the next time that you don't believe in yourself."

whenever his eyes words come back to me, i have to take a minute to get them out again.

on december 16, i'm in the boys' room pinning balloons to the wall and listening to josslyn boss everyone around.

"no, peter," she says exasperatedly when he tries to set the cake down without the cover over it. "knowing devin, he'll knock it right over."

"hey," he argues from his spot by the door, taping up streamers.

i giggle and continue to blow up the balloons. i'm starting to get light headed, but i keep going because i would honestly love to pass out and not have to stay for this.

around the time when ethan is supposed to come home from the gym, he doesn't show. but still, we wait quietly with devin's phone out tracking his location.

10 minutes.

15 minutes.

20 minutes.

and then finally, the door busts open and the lights come on. we all yell surprise and ethan jumps back into the door.

i blow my noise maker and so does josslyn as she places a hat on top of his head. she got it because she knew he'd hate it and i can't help but laugh as the band snaps around his chin.

"happy birthday!" peter yells and tugs him towards the cake.

everyone agrees happily, but my eyebrows furrow when i realize he hasn't said anything, and he looks pale and sick.

but still, peter uncovers the cake and motions for me to lead them off singing happy birthday.

i do hesitantly, watching his face the entire time. and for what feels like the first time in years, he locks eyes with just me. they're widened and almost scared.