05: The Ditching

The picture above is Denzel!

This chapter was edited by Random_Afterthoughts

--

As she was officially part of the squad, Irene sat with Denzel and his friends for dinner. There was an unspoken welcome from the three friends, something that said 'You're with us now.' Denzel seemed to be more than glad to have Irene with them. Brian was never picky about anything (especially foods). Fleur said she had always wanted a girl-friend so she wouldn't have to be with the 'two-doofus' all the time.

The sun was setting, giving an orange-purple combination painted across the sky. The eatery was open to nature, meaning you can feel the breeze of late afternoon air. They were feasting on fabulicious (quoted from Fleur) turkey. Irene had to admit the food was a whole lot better than any foods she had on Thanksgiving so far. And that was saying much since she was used to celebrating it in some fancy restaurants with her mom's celebrity friends—thanks, Mom. Much to her delight, she was fresh from the bathroom after waiting in line (again) for about twenty minutes.

Irene spared chuckles every here and there as the three conversed. However, her attention was not only focused on the three. She kept on glancing at someone two tables behind her—Logan Kassel.

He sat at the end of the table--a little far from Irene's sight—but she still could see him. His shielded, dark aura stood out way too much. It almost seemed like he wanted to be noticed. And let's not forget his gorgeous face.

There were a bunch of students on both of his sides, also across from him, but he was pretty much alone. He spoke to no one. He didn't even spare a look at anyone. He just sat quietly, munching on his meal in snail-pace.

Why would he need someone to save his life?

He definitely wasn't a damsel-in-distress material. In face, he should be the one doing the saving.

Irene sighed, knowing she would never talk to him again. The chance for her to discover the thing between Kassel and Elswood was as low as minus one.

"Irene?" she heard Denzel called her name, nudging her lightly on the shoulder.

She shifted her attention back to her friends in a heartbeat. "Yeah?"

"You're zoning out for a good five minutes," stated Brian. "So tell me, what's the deal with Kassel? You've already fallen for him or ..." Brian raised his brow, trailing off. The edge of his lips were threatening to curl up.

"I-I ..." her voice failed her. She hadn't known it was that obvious she was creeping on Logan. She studied her friends' faces.

It was clear that Denzel wasn't Logan's number one fan. He didn't look amused at all, unlike Brian. Fleur was just like a normal teenage girl. She was definitely smitten with Logan's charm. She looked like she already made up a couple name for Logan and Irene and was ready be her maid of honor at their wedding. Brian stood to abstain. But he did have a teasing smile playing on his face.

"It just ... he helped me with Floras and I haven't thanked him. I don't think I have the guts to do so, though." Irene shrugged. Wow, she thought. Maybe there was a perk of being the daughter of Amanda Clarington after all. She was a natural liar.

Insert evil laugh.

Denzel squinted his eyes, "He helped you?"

What, is it a crime to help someone? Irene couldn't help but think. "I didn't know a thing about this flower called Enthrallum. So I almost touched it ..." She grinned guiltily. Her friends already had wide eyes at the mention of the flower. "Thankfully Logan Kassel prevented me from being numb. Oh, he also helped me find the Veracium plant."