Orientation Part 1

How I imagine the school at the top :)

The car ride had taken ages, the scenery changing from the countryside to the bustling city, and then finally to the forest where I am supposed to be starting my junior year at Eastview High. My sisters ride with me, the eldest, Nesta, sitting in the front with her signature glare in place and the second eldest, Elain, bouncing in her seat next to me.

I don't understand how any of them could actually be excited about this trip. Yes, it's a new place with new people and new opportunities. But, we left so much behind. How am I supposed to forget about everyone we left behind?

"Feyre!" Elain exclaims, pointing out the window. "We're here."

And although I didn't plan on enjoying the new school, my breath catches when I see it.

Eastview High comes into view, surrounded by the forest turning into a vast green lawn before coming to stop at a castle. There is no better way to describe it. The building reaches into the sky, at least three stories tall. Windows stretch around it, the glass shining in the afternoon sunlight. The entryway stands ten feet tall and in the shadow stands a woman, her blond hair pinned in a bun and a pair of glasses perched on her long nose.

Around them, other cars pull up and students hop out, suitcases rolling over the gravel driveway.

Me and my sisters join them, paying the cab driver and getting our suitcases. I look up at the expansive place. This is going to be my home for the next year.

"Hello, you must be the Archerons," the young woman states, shaking each of our hands. "I am your principal, Mrs. Maas. Behind me, you will find your guides for today. If you have any questions, ask them. But if anything else comes up, my door is always open on the top floor." She offers us a soft smile before we make our way into the building.

The outside is nothing compared to the inside. We pass through the entryway and into the main floor. The floor is made of a dark wood that contrasts with the off-white walls. The second and third floor circle around the middle, leaving a hole in the center where two sets of stairs run through the space. My hands itch for my paints, wanting to paint the way the sunlight comes from the skylight in the roof and passes through the middle of the building.

Everything looks like a fairy tale. Like this sort of place shouldn't be possible. Like it was made of magic.

My gaze is brought down to the first floor where we stand and three boys in front of us. Two of them stand next to each other while the third stands apart, sparing a glare at the other two every few minutes. Normally, I would find the scene funny, but the incredible sight around me is very distracting.

The boy at the end, clad in a leather jacket, curly hair up in a bun, and a smile on his face that speaks of trouble, raises a hand in a wave. "Hey, I'm Cassian. This is Lucien." He points to the boy in the middle, his auburn hair brushing his shoulders and his fingers clutching a camera to his chest. "And this is Tamlin. And we will be your guides for today." I look over at the last boy, to lift my eyebrows as he is already looking at me. His emerald eyes shine as he gives me a dashing smile and tucks his shoulder-length blond hair behind an ear.

I give him a weak smile and turn back to Cassian. The way that he was already staring at me made me clutch my suitcase a little tighter, a tad uncomfortable.

"What are your names?" Cassian asks, his smile still in place.

"Nesta Archeron," Nesta states sharply, glaring at Cassian.

"I'm Elain," Elain smiles, "We're sisters."

"Feyre." I give a short wave to which Cassian reciprocates.