Echoes in the Stones

Music: Run - Snow Patrol (click on image to listen)

Copyright © 2012  Piper E. McDermot

The author has asserted their moral right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988, to be identified as the author of this work.

All Rights reserved. No part or paragraph of this manuscript may be reproduced, copied, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without the prior written consent of the copyright holder, nor be otherwise circulated in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is here presented.  Any person who commits any unauthorised act in relation to this publication may be liable to criminal prosecution and civil claims for damages.

                                                ************************                          

                                                Echoes in the Stones

Come back.

 Another echo drifting through this void, as I do, lost to Time. The echoes pluck at me, fingers on harp-strings, until I vibrate, remembering.

I do not know if that call is real, although sometimes I imagine it is his voice. I have none with which to answer, and there are no Songs here between the worlds, beyond Time. Not even the music of pain.

Here, I could know everything that was and everything that will be, if I chose to. I know that his memory will live on far beyond the bounds of the time and place where I once loved him. His name will resonate across the ages, across worlds.

 Come back.

 I do not know how. Once, I thought to find my way home. How foolish. I no longer know where home is or which Way would take me there, if I could go back. I must learn to forget, and be forgotten.