13 Blackbirds

Flocks of onyx feathers melded with the tempestuous heavens as the emerging sunlight was swallowed by the dark abyss. Blazes of amber struck at one another as 13 blackbirds dropped from the skys, crashing to the ground like fallen soldiers. The woman gazed upon this sight, bewitched. Inching closer to the limp bodies sprawled across the grass, the swarm of birds began screeching louder, the incandescent chorus emitting quakes onto the Earth below. The woman took one final gaze towards the birds as they plummeted towards her. Standing firm, she dug her feet into the muddy ground, remaining stagnant as the nefarious barrage consumed her. A single white feather lay dormant on her unmoving chest.

***

In the distance, 20 snowy mountains stood like Kings over the frozen town. The man gazed upon them in dismay, he was 6 foot tall and yet it was as if he was a child again. How could something so far away make someone feel so small?

***

The 1st blackbird sat on the lampost watching the man with intrigue. It watched as the man carefully avoided the cracks in the pavement. It watched as the man hummed and as he bit his lip when chewing his cheek. Once the man had left, time froze in place, for the only moving thing was the eye of the blackbird.

***

The gentle but potent fragrance of freshly cut flowers drew the man in like moths to a flame. The man was of three minds as he fished spare change from his tattered pocket and clutched it in his sweaty palm. His eyes raced across every pot, unsure of which flower to possess. Dustrubed by a sudden noise, he saw a single lilly laying on the ground. Thinking this was a sign, he shoved the change into the florists hands, bundling the flowers as if it were a newborn child.

***

The 2nd blackbird dropped the lilly it had plucked from a nearby field, the fragile flower landing just short of the man. The bird took shelter in a tree; together the three birds watched over the man.

***

Burnt leaves fell around the man, whirling into his face in the autumn winds. Sweet symphonies played for the eardrums as the man stopped for rest at the park. A young woman sang solemnly for the crowd that had gathered at her feet, her sorrowful complexion almost tangible.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

***

The 3rd blackbird flew over the woman's head, joining its voice with hers in perfect harmony, as if it was part of the pantomime.

***

He pulled a piece of paper from his chest pocket - a photograph of a daring young woman whose auburn locks clung to her forehead. He could feel her alluring denim blue eyes through the picture, staring at him, smiling at him.

***

The 4th blackbird perched itself on the green flaking bench opposite to the man, carefully watching as the man hugged the photograph to his chest, squeezing his eyes shut. The man and woman were one. But the man, the woman and the blackbird were also one.

***

The birds and the bees sung with so much delight that the shrubs they played in began to shake. This is how the man knew it was almost spring time.

***

The 5th blackbird saw this and began to whistle.

***

Staring at his reflection in the icy window, his thick breath clogged up the glass even more. He chuffed as he dragged his index finger across the cold glass and drew an image.