Meeting the Father

Win tried to peek over his fence, at his neighbour’s door.

 Aom usually worked the nights so she did not wake up early, however with the little guest she had overnight she must have been up by now, Babysitters are not allowed to be tardy, he debated with himself, he badly wanted to go see the little girl. He had woken up early to whip up some delicious breakfast for her. He had prepared rice congee and boiled pork soup and wanted to add omelets to the mix, but he realized he was out of eggs, So now, he was lurking around Aom’s door at 8 in the morning so that he could make some omelets at her place and serve them some home made food.

 Aom was a bad cook so she had a habit of sticking to take outs, boiled eggs and instant noodles for survival. On the days when Win wasn't too busy he cooked for her and they ate together. He was hesitating to bother them though.

“What are you doing? Peeking like a stalker?” Aom startled him, he never heard her front door open. she had a very confused look fixed on her face.

Win cleared his throat.

“I made breakfast.”

“On a Saturday morning? Don’t you have to go to the library on saturday mornings?”

“Well, um, it's not an obligation, I just go because of the thesis”

“I asked you to take me to the dentist last saturday, you shot me down, saying saturdays are for the library”

“haha-I said that? Well, eh.. I won't die if I don't go one day”

“You literally said, It was a matter of life and death.”

Win glared at her and then sighed.

“I made boiled pork soup”

“What are you doing there? Come fast then, before it gets cold”

Win rolled his eyes, he knew what drove his friend.

“So, you fell in love with the little girl?” Aom asked him when he entered the gates of her house, quickly helping him with the containers. 

She remembered how she had found the little girl finally talking to her neighbor\friend. They were so engrossed in their own conversation they didn't even notice Aom while they talked animatedly. She finally interrupted them when it was time for the girl to sleep but did not miss the pout both of them gave her.

It was cute.

“What?”

“When you like someone, you make them food.”

“How does that even make sense?”

“Didn't you say you hate kids?”

“It was an impulsive statement made in a tense situation”

Aom snorted at his constructive defence.

“That kid was continuously crying and throwing things at us, I was already tired and frustrated”

“Sure, Win”

She remembered how he was at the brink of breakdown when he had  to co-babysit one of her clients' kid because Aom was a bit under the weather. Win did not have to do that, he was tired from his day, and the kid was also a little bratty but he still did not complain and helped her as much as he could.

She was not sure what good deeds she did to find a friend like him but she was glad she did nonetheless.

“I will go take a quick shower, your little lady is ready and she will be down any minute. And I am going to leave the door open, her father will be here soon. I’ll leave the breakfast setting to you”