Chapter Four

I woke up when I heard my phone ringing. It was Rock, a guy I knew from Carlos. We were practically like brothers. I didn't know the rest. Rock wasn't Spanish so I sort of talked to him more sometimes when we had business to handle. He was supposed to be with me today, him, Chris, and a Jamaican named Reggie. I didn't have a problem with it since money is involved. I was just more cautious, I already didn't trust a lot of people. Carlos fronted me a couple more keys to sell so I had to get rid of that. He still wanted to run in was down with that. I was trying to get up when Erica grabbed my waist and jumped up, crying. "Bae, where you going? Don't leave."

"Good morning to you, too. What's wrong, You good?"

"I miss you. Why are you always leaving, huh? Ever since you started moving, you been moving away from me! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

I sat there. Maybe it was time to tell her. "Erica, stop crying. I miss you, too. Let me keep it real with you, we need money. Football ain't a option right now. I still want to give you the world and pushing these packs is helping me with that," I mumbled and scratched my head while I waited for her response. She let me go and more tears came down her face.

"You know what, get out! Just go! Why you ain't tell me this? Instead of hiding it? You better leave before I slap you in yo' fucking face."

"Who you talking to? How the fuck are you  gonna get mad at me just because I'm doing something I don't want to do for me and your ass. Erica, these bills still need to be paid and other shit. Yeah, I could've got a nine to five, but that's not for me and you know that." I got up and went to the shower. When I got out, she was gone. Man, I thought she would understand. Guess not. I put my clothes on and drove to Rock crib. I'm glad I got some sleep for at least a few hours because I been out here for weeks and rarely have time to sleep.

Rock was sitting on the porch with a duffle bag in his lap. When he saw me, he stood up and sat in the passenger's seat. "What up, big homie?" We dapped up and I drove off. A couple minutes later, he asked, "Bruh, why you look so mad for? I just looked at him and didn't say anything, because he might be right.

"Man, it's Erica. She tripping because I told her what I was doing. I mean, what was I supposed to do, yo? She started crying and all that."

"Nigga, you should've told her before. She started crying and if was either because of what you told her, or because you don't be seeing her and shit. Shay did that to me."

"I just don't know what to do. I went and took a shower, I got back and she was gone."

"Damn, G. That's fucked up. Look, we gone get this money from this work and you can go handle that, ight?"

"Ight, bet."

We came to a two-story house. This was the spot. Rock checked in the bag and handed me a .30, we stepped out the truck. I knocked on the door and two guys came to the door. They talked to us for a few. They worked under me. After we talked, we was out.

I dropped Rock off and headed to Erica's grandmother house, where I knew she was.

I knocked on the door and waited. He put the money in bags, I guess he assumed we wanted that. I waited for Erica to leave, but she didn't. She was still aiming at the man door and just shook her head. "Get in here, Brandon." I didn't even say anything, I just walked in. I hesitated, but I went in. "What is your problem?"

"Ma'am?" I knew what she was upset and mad about, I just had to think of a response. She responded with, "what's this I hear about you slangin' dope? You know I raised you way better than that. You got 2 minutes to TRY to explain yourself before I smack the shit out of you!"

"I just needed and wanted some money, mama. I started thinking about not be able to provide for Erica and me-"
"You don't have to provide for my baby, I got her."
"I know that, ma'am. It's just difficult for me to think about not providing. I'm a man, so I feel obligated to do that. You can provide, you always have. I just want to."

My mama asked after shaking her head, "well what if you get locked up? I'm not helping you out and you crazy if you thought I was."

"What do you mean you ain't helping me out? You my mama and I thought we were better than that. This just shows that you don't give a damn about me!" She grabbed a bat that was supported by a wall and swung it, hitting me in the ribs. "Maybe if your dumb ass would THINK, you would see what you doing to your future! Get out of my face before this bat knock your teeth out!" I stood to my feet and walked out. I got in my car and sped home.