Pinecones

The new neighbors had moved in when Sam was three, and though people rarely moved to Lawrence, the Winchester's didn't think anything of it. They seemed normal enough, though they had twice as many children than most families in the town, but they were all well behaved kids, though a bit off. Mary invited the Brennens to a house warming party, so they could meet the neighbors. If she found Egon Brennen's drinking excessive or the children's quiet mumbles concerning, she didn't say so.

Later when everyone had left, one of the younger Brennens promised to see Sam tomorrow before hopping out the door, she turned to John. "Did you notice the look Mrs. Brennen gave her husband when he was drinking?"

John looked away from the television, "No. Why?"

Mary shook her head, "Nothing. I must have missed something he said just before that."

She relaxed and went to tuck in her sons, sending a silent promise to the Brennen children that she would keep a watchful eye.

*~* ~*~ *~*

Gabriel and Sam start hanging out regularly, and Mary worries about the bruises she sees on the Brennen. With every excuse he smiles, and she pinches her lips and tells herself she's wrong. When Gabriel's older brother starts talking to Dean, she checks Castiel for bruises and finds them every once in a while. The Brennens confirm each other's stories - tripped, rough-housed too much, got knocked over by a friend's dog, didn't see the soccer ball until too late - and Mary wrings her hands and asks John; he frowns and keeps an eye on Mr. Brennen, who is always pleasant in public, but John heard shouting when he walked past their house on more than one occasion. A year passes, bruises and limps come and go, and Mr. and Mrs. Winchester worry more. The Brennen children keep smiling.

*~* ~*~ *~*

Mary had tried keeping her children's play-dates at home, but Sam was insisting on going to the Brennen's this time. Apparently Gabriel had a soda cap collection that was too big to be brought here, and Sam really wanted to see it. Pretty please with a cherry on top, no less. She relented, not having a solid reason for keeping him from going into Gabriel's home, and the two ran out the door yelling "thank you"s and laughing as they stumble to get shoes on.

Upon entering the house, Sam noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Gabriel's dad isn't home, Michael and Luke are at soccer, Anna is practicing piano, Castiel is in his room-reading most likely. They go upstairs, and Sam marvels at the box of soda tops. Gabriel smiles proudly and points out a small plastic bag, saying those are caps of his favorite soda and he adds one whenever he drinks a soda.

"We can get you a bag and you can collect some! And it will go right by mine, so the bags aren't lonely."

Sam nods, and the two get distracted by other things in the room. Gabriel grabs his Perry, a stuffed animal based on a Disney show, and the two giggle and play with the toys in Gabriel's room. After a while they get bored, and make their way down stairs, stopping outside of Gabriel's parents' bedroom. Inside they heard strange noises, and when they poke their head in to see Mrs. Brennen crying.

"Mommy? What's wrong?"

Gabriel's mother looks startled, and furiously wipes at her eyes. "Nothin' baby. Go play with Sam."

The two boy exchange a look and walk over, climbing onto the bed. Sam sits silently and Gabriel plays with his mother's hands. "Mommy why are you crying? I thought big boys and girls weren't supposed to do that," he says confused and upset, Sam nodding in agreement.

Mrs. Brennen smiles sadly, "I just miss your daddy that's all."

She starts crying again, and the boys curl up on either side of her, telling her he would be home soon and not to be sad. Eventually, Sam has to go home, and as he's leaving a car pulls into the driveway. Mr. Brennen stumbles his way to the door, glaring at him as he passes through the doorway. Sam sees Gabriel run up to his room before the door closes and he's left on the doorstep in the dark.