Wattpad Original
Mayroong 8 pang mga libreng parte

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

THORN never thought in his life that he would agree to an arranged marriage, but here he was, signing a marriage contract like he was signing a business deal. No grand wedding in church like his friends' weddings, no extravagant reception and nothing more than a judge in front of him and his bride in a private room of a restaurant, overseeing them sign so he could process their marriage, immediately and legally.

Only their parents were present and they all looked pleased after he and his bride signed.

Why did I even agree to this? Thorn thought. Was it his parents bombarding him to have family all the time? Or was it because it's convenient? Yes. Convenient, indeed. As long as his wife wouldn't hinder him and his restaurant, then this marriage will work just fine. Having a wife could instantly repel clingy women, having a wife also saved him from his parents constant reminder to get married and not only that, he would have a family. Just like his friends.

He was not getting any younger. At that moment, Thorn knew it was a good decision to marry a woman with a good background. Who didn't want a good wife? His mother assured him again and again that Ms. Cassia Engelyn Wisper, now Mrs. Cassia Engelyn Wisper-Calderon, was a good woman and a good match for him.

So at the age of thirty-one, Thorn Calderon finally settled down. Not because of love—he was not as sappy as his friends—but because it was convenient and convenience was what he needed in his life.

All he needed to do now to make this marriage work was to make his wife happy. He may not love her, but he will surely take care of her. It's the least he could do.

Pasimple siyang bumaling sa 'asawa' niyang nakaupo sa tabi niya. She had been silent the whole ordeal, only talking when talked to and asked. She was sophisticated and graceful. She looked like a perfect beautiful adorned statue while sitting silently and unmoving beside him.

Dahil sa walang emosyon nitong mukha, hindi tuloy niya makita kung ayaw o gusto ba nito ang napagkasunduan ng mga magulang nila. Arranged marriage was after all, a thing in the past. It didn't exist anymore in the modern society, so to be arranged with him, his 'wife' should have complaints. Maybe she just couldn't voice it out because of her parents. He could tell that her parents were strict.

Thorn took a small deep breath before placing the pen on the table after signing, then he looked at his 'wife'. "Is this really okay? I'm okay with a grand wedding." Since he accepted this set-up, he wanted to be good husband.

"It's okay, hijo." Ang sumagot ay ang ina ni Cassia na halata namang peke ang ngiti na naka-plaster sa mga labi. "Cassia here doesn't need a grand wedding. It was already too much that you accepted her."

Pasimpleng natigilan si Thorn sa narinig. That didn't sound right to him. He could hear a tinge of hostility in that statement.

Thorn glanced at his silent wife, waiting for her to speak for her self, but she didn't, so he looked at his wife's parents again to talk to them, but they were already leaving, like they were forced to be there and they wanted to leave pronto.

Thorn slightly frowned. Am I missing something? A family drama, perhaps? But even though there was a drama, weren't they concerned about their daughter's well being? I'm a stranger after all. They only knew him through his parents. Kahit pa kasosyo ng mga ito sa negosyo ang mga magulang niya, nakapagtataka pa rin na parang wala man lang pag-aalala sa mukha ng mga ito na ipaubaya sa kaniya ang anak nitong babae.

"We have to go now," paalam ng ina ni Cassia sa lahat ng nasa mesa. "Thank you for your hospitality. We're so sorry that we have to leave early. We have a business meeting in an hour." Then she looked at Engel strictly. "Don't disappoint us and your husband. Be a good wife."