Chapter Eighteen

CW: swearing, dogs

Roman's POV

Remus. I'd never expected to hear his name come out of Virgil's mouth. How the hell did he...

"How do you know his name?"

Virgil vocally shrugged, as if surely I would know. But I didn't.

"We... knew each other. A few years ago, before I started traveling around like I do now. But how do you know him?"

This time I was the one who felt like it was obvious. Surely he should have realized by now.

"He's my brother. M-my twin. Uh, we're fraternal."

There was silence as I waited for him to respond.

"I guess that makes... well, a lot of sense, actually. But you never told me that you had siblings."

Tears began to sting my eyes as I squeaked out the next sentence.

"That would be because I thought he was dead."

★★★★★★★★★★★

Virgil's POV:

Everything was coming together in my head. The fact that Remus never talked about his family wasn't conspicuous on its own, because plenty of us preferred not to.

But paired with the odd way he reacted to my asking about Roman, and what my old mentor Lily told me about him when we were kids; I was starting to understand Remus in a way I never had before.

It might help if I tell you about the day we first met.

June 10, 2014

I had been living with the Roses for about a year or so. It certainly wasn't the safest place for a 12-year-old, but it was safer than where I came from.

It was one of the hottest days of the year so far, and I was sitting on a lawn chair outside of the entrance to the compound. Younger kids were playing with the hose in the grass. As usual, I was always posed to hide myself somewhere in case someone came to take us away.

I heard the crunching of gravel as Lily's SUV pulled up, with Emile in the passenger seat and Rory in his lap. The pitbull mix was surveying his territory through the front windshield, paws clinging to the dashboard.

Unexpectedly, the back door opened. A short boy with tawny brown skin and a mess of curly hair slid out of the back seat, his grey flip-flops slamming against the pavement.

He looked at Lily for a second, and then over at me. We made eye contact for a split second, and I noticed that his eyes were red, and a few tear streaks decorated his cheeks.

I expected for him to look away, but instead, he smiled.

I set down my book, bewildered.

Who is this kid?

★★★★★★★★★★★

A/N: Hey guys! It's an extra short chapter today because originally this chapter was over a thousand words, and I needed to split it in a way that made sense. But the story only gets better from here, so keep checking in! Thanks for reading. -BinChild