Chapter Fourteen

CW: mentions of suicide, doctor's office, emetophobia warning, swearing, death reference, potential kidnapping, second-hand embarrassment.

Logan POV:

"So that, plus the refills should last you about 6 months. If you have any overwhelming nausea, headaches, fainting, suicidal thoughts, or your anxiety gets worse; please reach out to the office, and they'll help you out."

"Thank you so much, Doctor Till."

"Of course. This is my job after all."

"I'll see you next checkup!"

"Have a great rest of your day, ma'am."

I left the room and continued down the hallway. I entered the staff room, filling a coffee cup, and sitting down at one of the familiar plastic tables.

I felt my phone buzz, so I pulled it out of my pocket. A text... I nearly put it away before I noticed that it was from Virgil. 

Virgil.

That anomaly. Beautiful eyes, beautiful wings. Beautiful...

What the everloving fuck, Till? Do you remember what happened last time we showed this much interest in a specimen?

I sighed. Of course.

Good.

I opened the text.

      Virgil Abnet: Something happened.

      Doctor Till (Logan): What do you mean by something?

      Virgil Abnet: I really shouldn't talk about it but... someone from my past life is here.

      Doctor Till (Logan): Where is here?

      Virgil Abnet: That's the part I shouldn't talk about. Anyway, the issue is that now that he knows I'm alive, he could tell someone, like, any one of the many people who have a bounty on my head.

      Doctor Till (Logan): Well, that's not ideal. But why should I care? I only promised I would help you if it protected other people as well.

      Virgil Abnet: It's funny, the lovely people I used to associate myself with have a... reputation for killing more people than they really need to. I don't want them here. I don't want them to hurt anyone.

      Doctor Till (Logan): That is concerning. If you tell me who he is, I'll see what I can do.

      Virgil Abnet: The name I know him by is Remus. No last name, but he was pretty infamous in the gang.

      Doctor Till (Logan): Thank you for letting me know. Stay safe.

      Virgil Abnet: I'll try.

I hate having to lie and tell him I don't care. But this persona... it follows me. The logical doctor who only cares for the greater good.

I sipped my coffee, thinking. What if I could be free of this? What if I could live my life however I want? Without the shadow of my parents looming over me, I could do anything.

"But you're a brilliant doctor, sir."

I looked up, startled.

"Oh, hello Mary. How long was I thinking out loud?"

She shrugged.

"Just then."

I leaned back in my chair.