Inspiration

What is inspiration?

Is it something that I could ever be?

Is inspiration something I have allowed myself to truly witness in life?

I've watched and seen many things; read enough for me to want to get up and do something about something or another but can I really say that I was inspired?

Has that thing that inspired me really made me change how I look out into the world that's so full of... everything.

For me, no one person sticks out in my mind. There's no 'oh yes, that's exactly who I want to be' person who I've put so high up on a pedestal I couldn't ever dream of climbing it. That doesn't mean I'm special, but it does mean that instead of a pedestal, I have a sturdy, sizable shelf to put all the people and women I admire upon. And there's so many; I'm happy there are.

My mother deserves her rightful place at the center; my rock. My sister is set right beside her, not higher or lower.

And then, surrounding them is the countless wonderful, inspirational thousands of others who have shown me how they have looked at life and said yes, this is mine. The way they've smiled at me in passing or have been able to dig deep into themselves and create art through a pencil or computer screen or dance or any other way they have deemed worthy to express themselves. Ah, expression deserves its very own shelf but there isn't one substantial enough to hold even a fraction of it.

I hope that in my life I can become the best parts of each of them; that I can take what I've seen and been taught and adorn my life with the jewels they've given me. Then maybe, just maybe, I might be able to look in the mirror at the end of my life and say 'well done'.

And it's a wonderful thing to live in a time that allows so many to be seen just by scrolling through the device I hold in my hand. It's a marvel that I can witness their sacrifice and hear the voices of the ones who fought for my freedom to speak and write the words I'm typing now with just a simple search.

What a treasure it is for me to be allowed to bask in their triumph; in their unity and will for a better future. My reality.

I cherish my ability to have the privilege of looking up to those who have done so much; to know that they're there urging me on for better and cheering over the victories no matter how small. I hope that one day someone can look back at my 'now' and notice the betterments between their reality and mine.

And ultimately, I hope that someday I may earn my seat alongside those who have taken their rightful place on my shelf of aspirations and dreams.