Chapter 5~Luna

Lunch rolls around, like normal. Everything is normal, everyone is normal. Nothing feels different today, no one acts different. It is different though. Tonight, I will have sex with Derek Gallagher. 8 pm, no questions asked. Stacy and Josephine say I should break up with him, but it's not that simple, and I'm not that strong. They don't know about Derek's heroine problem, he needs me. I'm his "golden light". I didn't tell Stacy or Jo about tonight, I just feel so guilty.

 "Luna! Hey!" Derek snuggles up to me as we walk to lunch.

"Hey"

"You ok? You seem worried about something."

"Im fine, just tired."

"Everything ok at home?"

No. Everythings completely messed up. Mom disappeared again, Dad's really scared. "Everything's fine, Derek. Stop worrying."

"I'll see you tonight at 8, my house." Derek winks at me and swaggers away like an idiot. "Don't be late Lune-goon!"

-------------------------------------------------

Math is the worst subject on the planet. Mr. Hessler annoys the hell out of me. He says that math is like a family tree, and you have to understand the first generation in order to understand the second. What the heck does that mean? I mean, really. I'm in 8th grade algebra, not 40th grade genetics.

Stacy and Jo keep passing notes to me asking about Derek. What they don't understand is that he's actually a really good guy, if you dig down deep. We both just need a little guidance. Derek's sister commited suicide last year, just like Laya did. Stacy and Jo don't know about that. That's the only reason Derek turned to heroine. One day I'll get someone to help him rehab.

"LUNA!!!"

"What?" Shit! I keep zoning out in class! Mr. Hessler will fail me for sure.

"Can you please bring me that strangely large pile of papers on your desk?"

I look down. The notes. I guess I had zoned out too long; I could see Stacy's loopy pink handwriting through the folds of the papers.

"These aren't math notes, sir."

"No shit, Sherlock!" I hear Dolly giggle from the back table.

THen the most miraculous thing on the planet happens: the bell rings.

"See you next class, Mr. H." I croak out, then take off running for the door.

Bless that bell.