Chapter Ten: Heartless

The wind whips her long black hair into her face as she stands between the two men who she failed to choose between before. She clutches her arms to her chest to try and keep some warmth to herself for her human portion was freezing and her demonic being could not sustain her at this time.

The two men stand on either side of the hybrid, just staring at her - waiting to judge her movement if she dared make the incorrect one in their eyes.

On the left stood Lucius. Her childhood friend and the one who she just recently learned had been keeping a deep and dark secret from her this entire time.

On the right stood Emile. A being who could shift his form into what he wished to be when ever he wished to be. He had always given Rain the truth - no matter how painful it was to her. He was right about Lucius, right about her parents and right about the demon hunters being sent by Lucifer himself.

Her heart shatters being in between the two, especially in such a harsh storm. The difficulty to choose between the other was more difficult now than it ever was - because the choice would be irreversible.

"You have to choose Rainette!" Lucius calls to her, attempting to have a sympathetic tone.

"You don't dare speak to her, you conniving son of Satan!" Emile yells to the demon.

Their insults continued back and forth at each other and Rain could not take it anymore. She grips her drenched hair in her hands and falls to her knees in the wet grass, soaking her skirt as well.

"Stop it! Shut up both of you!" She yells at the two men and they go quiet immediately.

The silence thickens but disperses once she speaks through her tears.

"Why do I have to choose? What right do you two have to make me choose between the both of you?! It's just not fair! I can't choose between either of you!" She yells, the entire decision grew heavy on her half human heart.

The men say nothing as they both approach her but it's Lucius who drags her up by her arm and places his dagger near her throat.

Rain gasps in terror as the blade barely nicks her skin. "Lucius what are you doing?!" She asks quickly.

"Don't make this harder on me" he begs her.

"Don't do anything rash Lucius..." Emile says cautiously as he tries to grab the dagger away but he fails.

"Come no closer! Lest her throat be slit here and now!" Lucius says, fear in his voice at his own actions. Was he really planning on killing his future bride? Emile stands back, his hands raised defensively. He wasn't going to make a mistake and let Rain die.

"Lucius, you are about to commit a heinous crime" Rain says, trying to stay calm.

"Just shut up! If I cannot have her Emile, then neither can you!" Lucius screams and with that, his growing anger causes him to slide the knife across Rain's throat.

Emile's eyes widen in horror as her ruby blood spills from the deep wound.He clenches his fists as he glares up at the devil spawn standing in front of him. Lucius drops her choking form, terror overcoming him once he sees his beloved's blood on his hands.

"No...no...no! No! No! No!" Lucius panics as he paces around in circles, the bloody dagger still in his hand.

Emile stands after he closes Rain's heterochromatic eyes and he raises his fist at Lucius. "You buffoon!! You're just as brash as your father! You don't get what you want so you obliterate the problem!" He yells.

"Y-you know nothing about my father or me!" Lucius stammers as he tries to be threatening.

Emile doesn't stand down as he drags a silver throwing knife from his hip holster. "I know more about your own father than you do" he starts approaching Lucius, "I know that he put this poor girl through so much just so you could take her to be your wife. What kind of nonsensical logic is that?!"