Chapter Five

From Magical Mangery the group navigated their way through the midday crowds. Professor Mcgonagall was behind her and the headmaster led the way. Professor Snape was right at the back and she could feel his eyes bore into the back of her skull. It made her anxious and she had no idea why he would do it so....intensely. It unnerved her.

When they arrived at The Leaky Cauldron the Headmaster held the door open for all of them to pass through. From there they took a seat at one of the tables in a corner.

Lenora was horribly hungry and thirsty. But she'd hidden it well. She hoped that she was allowed to eat with them. Her grandmother never ate near her.

She was exhausted too. She hadn't slept in a week. And it was taking its toll. She wasn't sure how long she could stay awake.

And, honestly, she wasn't sure how to act anymore. All the people she'd met so far have been surprisingly kind. She'd not expected that. Wasn't used to it either. They treated her like a normal human being despite it all. It was overwhelming. She felt two emotions at the same time - anxiety and happiness. They twisted her stomach into knots.

Lenora took her place by the corner chair but did not sit. Professor Mcgonagall took the seat next to her and the Headmaster beside her. Professor snape was opposite her. She patiently waited for them to settle.

When they did, she settled down. Snape was watching her still, though, he didn't look as if he were. It wasn't obvious. But she could feel it, nonetheless. She squirmed in her seat and averted her eyes to the table. Her stomach growled and made strange sounds that she hoped they couldn't hear over the noise of the pub.

"So, my dear, how are you enjoying the day? Are you having fun?" suddenly asked the Headmaster with a bright smile and gleam in his eye. She lifted her head in surprise, blinking at the question. But she nodded.

She was unsure why he would ask. No one cared for her experiences or how she enjoyed something. The only people she knew were her grandmother, the seven tutors she'd had over the years, the old grumpy gardener and Woody.

Woody was the only one who cared. He would sometimes ask how she was feeling, how her classes were or what books she was reading. She averted her eyes.

"Were there any places you liked?" asked the Headmaster again in hopes to encourage her to speak her mind. He suspected she never did or had anyone that cared for it. She raised her eyes, surprised again, and swallowed. He could see the nervousness and anxiety in the way she held her brows. But he waited patiently sporting a soft smile and curious eye.

"I...liked the r-robe store, sir. The owner's cat was friendly." Lenora braved and the Headmaster smiled a little wider. Professor Mcgonagall mirrored it, agreeing with her.

"Indeed. He was quite friendly, as are most cats. They don't need magic to know when one needs a little love." she spoke and gave Lenora a kind smile.

Lenora didn't know much about cats or love. Though, she knew kneazles. She'd learned about them in her Care of Magical Creatures textbook. But she'd not owned one or any lasting pet for that matter. The Hag hated them. Her Blue Jays didn't count. It was a spell she'd known since she was a baby.

Snape rolled his eyes. Sentiment, nothing good ever came from it. Look where it got him. Twice. Minerva had tried convincing him to adopt a cat over the years but hadn't been successful. She'd given up after a while. Good. The harassment was making him real friendly with the tongue-tying jinx. He had no time to look after pets when he couldn't keep himself up to par at times. Especially now that Potter was coming to hogwarts...he'd already drunk himself into his fourth firewhiskey three nights before.