Prologue

        "Everything Happens for a Reason"

It was a bright, cold day in April and the clock was striking 7 at The Canadian Museum of Indian Civilization. Shanice, Jake, and Joey were the only people left in the museum.

"Oh, come on, Shanice what is taking you so long with your research, it is cold in here and my fingers are getting numb," Jake said getting slightly annoyed.

"Yeah, Jakes right Shanice, we've been to the Wall of peace and the Cosmic theatre what else do you need for your research? I need the bathroom as well, but it seems like they're locked," Joey looked around noticing that there was no one else around.

"Guys you can go home I just need to go to the Ashwatha Tree, you see I was told that these artifacts come from India even the tree and were part of some ancient Hindu mythology, I believe that there are some untold stories behind these artifacts and that not everything was explained" Shanice explained getting that twinkle in her eye that indicates that she is incredibly passionate about what she is talking about. "There are secrets and deeper meanings about these artifacts that are yet to be explored and I can feel cosmic energy radiating from the engravings on these artifacts, it's as if it is alive part of something bigger than us." Grabbing Jake and Joey by their arms and dragging them across the room. "I mean look at this Ashwatha Tree, it  is said to be the same one at Godavari river that the Chidepe was imprisoned in by Shiva." Joey and Jake stared at the tree; the bark was light grey and smooth, it smelled like ashes and had branches sprouting from it filled with heart-shaped leaves. It was in the centre of the room and by its roots were lamps , old pieces of string and other objects that the boys could not identify.

"Shanice, since when are you so into Hindu mythology and its archaeology?" Joey asked intrigued by how much she knows about this topic which she has never spoken a word about before now.

"Is this because you were watching Indiana Jones last night?" Jake asked giving a little chuckle .

"No Jake like I said I feel that these artifacts may be the key to something important a link between past present and future, containing secrets that ..." She stopped noticing Joey in the distance. "Joey! Are you seriously letting it out there by that tree? Do you know how disrespectful that is? Get away before they see you!"

"Sorry the bathrooms were locked, and I drank like 3L of Soda waiting for you to get done with your research." He reaches into the tree and pulls something out. "Although I did find something interesting hidden in a hole behind the tree it seems to be some polished marble rock with some words written on it. Jake, catch." He says as he tosses the stone across the room to Jake who reaches out a second too late and misses the catch completely. The stone ends up breaking into multiple pieces on the cold tiled floor. Just then, the three teenagers heard the rumble of a thunderstorm in the distance, the room started to fill up with a potent smell that was something between peanut butter and oranges. An oceanic purple glow started to surround the tree and slowly one by one the lamps around the tree started to light up emitting a sharp metal clanking sound as they lit up. Startled by what is going , Shanice, Jake, and Joey started walking backward trying to stay calm but as they did that a figure started emerging from the tree.

It was a slim, pale white figure as white as snow and teeth that resembled fangs, she had wavy black hair, what looked like elf ears, and clothes made from leather. She gave a cunning smile as her long bony fingers tightened around the stick in her hand and what looked like a ring started glowing. Suddenly, the teenagers doubled over in pain and dropped to the floor engulfed by a sadness so deep they could not bear it any longer. As the figure got closer with every step that she took toward them they felt their energy depleting.

"What are you?" Shanice cried in agony.

"Ahh," the creature hissed. "So, you released me from this prison not even knowing who I am, that is insulting." She walked around them in circles studying them with her beady eyes. "I am a Chidepe or what your people call a "Witch". I have waited centuries to be released and now thanks to you ignorant fools who have broken the seal on my prison, I AM FREE!!" she screamed with her raspy voice. "I can finally do what should have been done years ago," she stated as she slowly started poking a stick into their arms. The teenagers had lost too much strength to try to resist. When she was done the witch mumbled a few words and the areas where she had poked them began to create a huge flame and in a matter of a few seconds, they vanished.

The Chidepe, now smiling and feeling replenished with energy hears a noise coming in the distance, she creeps slowly behind the tree after mumbling a few more words, she too vanishes.