---> chapter 1.

The rain pelted my window as I stared out into the pitch black. It was probably close to three in the morning, and I'd been awake for hours. It wasn't an unusual occurance, but I was surprised that the rain hadn't put me to sleep by now. Normally, it was like white noise.

I rolled over, the covers falling over the side of the bed as I did. I picked up my phone. 3:01 AM. I put it back down on the stand, and rolled back over one more time onto my side, facing the window. The rain didn't seem to be letting up anytime soon, so I decided to get up. While I was used to laying in bed for hours on end, trying to sleep, tonight was different, I guess. 

The floors slightly creaked as I walked to my bedroom door, and the door gave a similar squeak as I opened it, stepping through the door frame and lightly shutting it behind me. I walked downstairs to the kitchen, very dim light coming in through the windows, though it was still fairly dark outside. The only actual lights coming from the kitchen, though, was the clock on the oven and the coffee pot. I let my phone light shine down in front of me so I didn't bump into my table on the way to the counter.

I started the coffee and went to sit down on my couch, letting my tired body slump down onto the rough cushions. I need to get a new couch, I just don't have the motivation. I pick up my remote and click the tv on, as the light dim of the startup screen shines through the room, and the news channel is on. I don't usually watch the news, or tv in general, but I decide to let it play.

A newsreporter drones on about the latest Pokemon sightings in Ula'ula, from rare ones to just people talking about battles they'd been in. Pretty standard, I guessed.

The coffee pot dinged and I walked back into the kitchen, pulling the glass container out and pouring the coffee into my mug, which I'd left on the counter from earlier. I put the pot back down and walk back over to my couch, sitting down and taking a sip before putting it down on my stand.

Even though I just technically started my day, and it's almost 4 in the morning, I feel myself start to drift off. When this sleep pattern started to form, I would fight off the sleep as long as I could, but now, it's almost comforting to let it just fall over me.

And it does.

----

I open my eyes, the light through the window behind my tv shining right into my eyeballs. I sit up and quickly move out of the way. I look around, forgetting where I sat my phone down before I fell asleep. Very quickly, I notice it was in the floor, probably just from me knocking it off. It's face down, and I go to pick it up and notice a small crack running down the middle. Great.

It says it's 1:30 in the afternoon, which, considering how late I'd been waking up and going to sleep wasn't surprising, it stopped being even remotely that after the first two weeks. I step out of my living room, turning off the tv as I do so. Nothing important is on anyway.

I walk upstairs, going to get in bed. I don't have anything to do, and I don't have to go to...work for the next couple of days. Might as well sleep, it's not like I'm going to get any later tonight.

I set my phone down back in it's usual resting place on my bedside stand, and I pull back the already messed up covers and let myself fall into the bed. It's the only comfort I have, and yet, it's my enemy.