⑥➸ 𝕽𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖘

'Equal footing...' I pointlessly thought to myself. Those words left this bitter aftertaste, causing me to frown reluctantly. I have always asked myself if I ever deserved to be on equal footing with another person as other people do. Looking back deep into my past, the answer was obvious. There was absolutely nothing for me to regain nor acknowledge that I had a right to own such a freedom from the very beginning.

 "...It seems that no matter what I do or say, it always causes you to be in great discomfort." He dejectedly muttered, seeing my pained expression. "That is well to be expected and I figured that this was karma's way of repaying my overdues. After all, I was the one responsible for your..." He stopped, unwilling to finish the sentence. He bit his lower lip, scowling at his own words. 

"N-no...! You are mistaken! I was only recollecting on old memories of my childhood and just felt...saddened about it. Please, do not put all the blame on yourself for everything that has happened to me." I ardently spoke. I grabbed his hand which rested on my cheek and eagerly enfolded them tightly with both of my small fingers. "You were only performing to what was prior to your duties, and much so inclined to. You did nothing wrong Dr. Leon..." His words made me genuinely upset. Holding himself accountable for everything that has come to pass was undeniably a trait which he always had and is a selfish move on his part. Even though I strongly object to it, in actuality...I cannot deny his claims because it did hold some truth behind it. 

Sir Leon and I had been together for approximately four years in Perditionem Mental Asylum. It had been handed down onto him by the previous holder for his remarkable capabilities as a doctor and the aptitude of a scientist. During those grim years, I was infamously proclaimed as an ill omen within the first few months, and it instigated quite an uproar and to which it had sparked Sir Leon's interest. Proper procedures were overlooked as I was later on to be directly transferred as one of his exclusive patients that shall serve as nothing more than experimental test subjects in order to further conduct his research and also as a diversion for his discontented boredom. 

I was forcefully subjected to repeated bodily and psychological tortures that required various unspeakable devices. Practices such as compelled starvation, simulated drowning, long periods of isolation, bloodletting through the use of leeches, and to furthermore several gruesome methods was in order. Permanent scarring was an inescapable fact and to some extent I became immune to it. Subsequently those inflicted wounds naturally became a part of myself, however, it was an entirely different story when it approached toward mental scarring. These wounds were invisible to the naked eye, yet it had the most severe damage that inflicted both body and mind, thus becoming an exhausting cycle I had to bear for as long as I can remember. They say memories are either a blessing or a curse, I for one, choose the latter. 

"You may reject my allegations all you want, but the evidence is as clear as day..." He abruptly released his hand away from my hold and painstakingly grabbed my injured wrist, bringing it above my head. "Is this bruise not enough proof for you...? There is no mistaking that I was the one who inflicted this upon you..." He grimaced at the sight, letting out a low groan.

"Y-yes but...I was the one who drove you into such a furious state, s-so I anticipated it more or less. Dr. Leon...you are not to be entirely blamed..." I shakily replied. I was attempting to calmly stir away from his grasp, but then I saw his facial expression, one that was extremely apologetic. It was a rare occurrence for him to make such an expression. Ever since the beginning of this trip, there were instances where he deliberately showed a different side to him. Surely enough, this is one of those moments where he could freely lower his guard and convey what he truly felt inside.