The Dream

Chapter: 01

May 3rd, 2015

Ring, ring, ring!

My eyes flew open. With a sigh, I slammed a hand on my alarm clock. It was another day of my last senior year in high school, the only thing keeping me from sleeping until at least noon. I pushed my covers aside and got up. My hand went to my mouth as I yawned and blinked sleepily. My feet ached to return to bed as I walked to the bathroom. After I took a shower, I put on a blue shirt and a pair of faded jeans.

I looked at myself in the mirror and scowled at my messed-up blond hair. Settling it in a braid, I put on a baby pink lip gloss, light blush with a bit of eyeliner. I gave myself a weary smile before picking up my bag and going outside for breakfast.

“Look who woke up early today,” Alex said cocking up an eyebrow. It was one of the fine mornings where her eyes were their natural hazel colour. I was thankful for that. Most people would think from our interaction that we’re sisters. And we were… except not really.

She wasn’t my sister by blood. My background was a very disturbing story. My mother died when I was one and after that, my sister and brother helped me. But when I turned twelve, my sister died because of my father.

 My father was a madman. He used to be drunk all the time. My brother had run away in search of my sister's body when she fell off the cliff. But he never returned after that.

 Then, I was alone with my father. I spent the next whole year with him. He forced me to drop out of school and I used to be locked in the house all the time. During that, he used to hit me. Many wounds had appeared on my skin and I went pale.

I was hopeless. I missed my brother but I had no idea where he was. I missed my sister but she was dead.

 Then, nearly five years ago, I managed to sneak out of the house without my father noticing. At that time, Alex lent me a hand when no one did. And I was thankful to her for that.

 Then, I found out that she wasn't an ordinary human. Alex was superhuman. And due to that, she got in trouble with her father, older brother and stepmother.

 They tried to take her abilities away. Tried to make her a normal person. But she didn't let them. She ran away as her powers became uncontrollable.

 But she did return. She returned and so did her father. With My father. But with the help of the Greys, my psycho father was now in prison. Where he belonged.

 I just rolled my eyes at her comment. There was no way to deny the truth so I sat at the table and picked up my fork.

 Just when I started cutting my omelette, Xander came in while rubbing his eyes. Xander was Alex’s little brother but a year older than me. We met under… not so good circumstances. We both hated each other at first but then we got along.

 “You still didn’t get ready?” Emma asked in disbelief. Emma was a year older than Alex. She was my other sort of, kind of sister. Xander groaned.

 “I hate school,” he mumbled and went to his room to get ready. I smiled and continued to eat my breakfast.

 Once I was done, I got up and picked up my bag. 

 “Come on. I don’t wanna be late because of you.” I said to Xander who was dawdling on his food. He mimicked my sentence under his breath and I rolled my eyes.

He picked up his bag and stopped to look at Emma, “You’re not gonna clean my room, are you?”

“Why?” Emma asked as she gathered all the plates. Her light brown hair was up in a bun and she was wearing a baby pink dress that went just below her knees.