Chapter 4

She finally stops at the edge of the boardwalk. The place looked deserted but that's how it always looked when the tourists were gone and summer was over. It was just the beginning of October and the weather had been cold the past few weeks. Isabelle looked down the boardwalk and ran as fast as she could to the end and grasped on to the railing. Her legs finally gave out on her she heaved as the tears flowed freely. No sounds escaped her mouth as she cried because she hasn't used her voice in so long. Once she finally gained her composure again, She stood up and looked out across the ocean. The sky is a dull gray, compared to the gorgeous rays of sun shining in her room that morning. Isabelle then looks down and looks at the waves crashing against the boardwalk some many feet below.

why does everything have to be so hard!" Isabelle screams in her head. She wipes away another tear which had escaped from her eye.

*Flashback*

"Daddy, I can't do this.. It's too hard!" the little girl said to her father who smiled down at her attempts to button her own shirt. "It's okay sweetheart," he said bending down to her level, "You'll get it eventually. Just keep trying and you'll get there. Don't lose hope yet." The little girl hung her head in defeat and her father lifted her up and set her on the table. He then buttoned her shirt for her and kissed her on the forehead. "You'll get it sweetheart, don't worry. I love you."

*Flashback ends*

Isabelle wiped the tears away that flooded her eyes from that memory. She then took a deep breath and tried to breathe like the ocean to relax. She climbed up onto the railing of the boardwalk and sat down on the edge letting her feet dangle freely above the water. Isabelle became lost in deep thought.

'Would my life be different if not for the accident?' She wondered to herself.. She knew the answer already. She had asked herself this question a million times and she knew the answer. 'yes.' But because of someone acting stupidly and not thinking, her life was different. Isabelle let out a sigh and tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ears. She was about to get down off the railing and head home when a voice shouted out

"HEY! What are you doing?!" the voice yelled. Before Isabelle could turn around to look, the board she was sitting on cracked and Isabelle felt her balance shift as she slid forward. She tried to grab onto something as her body was flung forward towards the ocean but her hands missed. Although in the process of trying to catch herself, her head slammed against the floorboards of the boardwalk as she fell towards the ocean. After that, blackness.