After The Wait

^ that's the song mentioned below, though I'm sure almost no one will need reference - it's just that popular!

alsoooo - I've said it in the description and I'll say it again: this oneshot kind of like a sequel to Wait by @Sophie62442, which is yet another sokeefe masterpiece that deserves wayyy more recognition than it's currently getting! i'd recommend you to read Wait before reading this, but you can still read this independently without any confusion as all background information is provided - including Wait spoilers!

Music blasted into Sophie's ears through her earbuds on the highest volume her iPod allowed her to set, yet it was too soft; too mild compared to the intensity of random joy flowing through her.

It happened a lot these days.

The Neverseen had been defeated four months ago, though it felt like yesterday. But that wasn't what kept the smile plastered on her face. She and Keefe had come clean about their feelings for each other under Calla's Panakes tree three days ago. She hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since then.

Just as a new song started, Sophie heard the sound of a knock and her door opening and craned her neck to see who was at the door.

Grady's seemingly uncomfortable and disgruntled face peeked out from behind the door. "You have a... visitor."

Even though Sandor, Sophie's former bodyguard, had gone home to Gildingham after they overthrew the Neverseen, he still came to Havenfield frequently to visit Sophie. She was still struggling to adjust to the fact that a seven-foot goblin wasn't standing guard outside her door most of the time.

Grady was gone as quick as he appeared, not stopping to see Sophie's quizzically raised eyebrow.

Seconds later, the door swung open and in walked the one person she'd been constantly thinking about for the past three days.

Sophie sat up with a start, and quickly steadied herself on the bed frame as the blood rushed down from her head, making her dizzy. She was very aware of the awkward and very unflattering position she'd been in moments ago; a position her visitor had managed to catch a glimpse of, judging off the smirk on his face.

Sophie tugged her earbuds out and let her hair fall in front to hide her face, which was now conveniently bright crimson.

She felt the bed shift as Keefe sat down next to her. Several seconds drifted by in silence, and Sophie still hadn't looked at him. Her stomach had morphed into a pit of dread and horrible questions started taking shape in her mind.

Did he regret their kiss three days ago? Was he here to break things off with her? Had she done something wrong? Was he finding the silence awkward?  Should she say something?

Sophie was debating on whether to risk a peek at his face or not when she felt him slide his hand into hers, and lace their fingers together.

Keefe's hand was warm, warmer than hers, and it provided a sense of calm and security that she hadn't been feeling before. The size of his palm was only slightly bigger than her own, such that their hands fit perfectly into the other's. As though they were meant to be together all along.

Maybe they were.

This thought gave Sophie the courage to look up at Keefe, tucking her hair behind her ears. They instantly locked eyes, and she was lost. All she could think about was the pair of ice blue eyes she was gazing into, the pair of eyes that were staring right back at her.

It took her a moment to realise Keefe was smirking again and another moment to realise he'd slid his free arm around her waist and pulled her to his side.