Chapter 9

As I was saying, the pleasant adventurous days did not last. It was Friday when the gears were shifted yet again. The afternoon ended with a successful hunt. Arabella and Veronica had caught a fine fish and were preparing it for their dinner. They huddled around the fire. Out of the blue Arabella asked, "If you weren't to become queen, what would you do instead?"

Veronica looked up. "I've only ever told two people about this before, but I think I would be a singer." Arabella looked up curiously. 

"Really? Have you written any songs?"

"Yes, one. Want to here it?" Arabella nodded enthusiastically. She began:

It was only yesterday

When her lover ran away

Asked me if true love was free

And I told her what my mother told me

That I once upon a time

Before there was any crime

Where the grass grew green

There was a king and a queen

They were known for being wise and fair

Had one daughter they named Fleur

Her father told her when the time is right

You'll find true love on a starry night

Above all the land

Feel the wind as you stand

In the moment of bliss

You'll feel his kiss

That's happily ever after

When she stopped, Arabella had lost her breath. Something about Veronica's sweet voice, the melancholy tune of the song, made her stop. Veronica looked concerned.

"You don't like it?" Arabella shook her head.

"It's breathtaking. Literally. Your voice is beautiful. And the song too." Veronica glowed.

It was nearly 10:30  when Madame Maxine's voice rose above the camp. "Gather at the rock pile in 15 minutes." Arabella sat up and looked solemnly at Veronica. She returned the gesture with a cocked eye brow. Arabella pulled out the map, instantly spotting the rock at the top of the map. 

"Come. We best be on our way."

They arrived along with the others. Some yawned. Others looked nervous. Not long after Madame Maxine gave her usual instructional speech. "Good to see you all here. Tonight I have a challenge for you, which will require a lantern and map." She gestured for the girls to grab their gear off the table behind her. Arabella grabbed a lantern and a new map, rejoining Veronica. "This map is special: it will give you clues and instructions on where to go. Don't lose it. If you happen to be stuck, simply yell "Surrender" and you will be collected. No sabotaging, cheating, and as a reminder: running away will only make things harder than they have to be. Am I understood?" They replied meekly with a "Yes ma'am" and were on their way. Veronica pointed at the other groups, stomping off in different directions. 

"We must all have a different course." 

"I guess so," Arabella said as she opened up the new map. Written clearly on the inside was, Find all the words to win. You have until 12:00 to reach the end. 11:02 appeared at the top of the paper. Say start to begin. Veronica had been reading over her shoulder. She nodded.