Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation/ GDC/MDZS

Pinyin:Mo Dao Zu Shi

Author: Mo Xiang Tong Xiu/ MXTX

Genre: Xianxia (Chinese Historical Fantasy), Drama, Yaoi

Pairing: Wei Wuxian (shou/bottom)/Lan Wangyi(gong/top)

Ship name: Wangxian

Plot:

Wei Wuxian, the greatest demonic cultivator who died many years ago entered the body of a gay madman named Mo. Through a series of supernatural events he encountered again his 'archnemesis', Lan Zhan of the Gusu Lan Sect. They investigate the case of a chopped up body while having recurring flashbacks from Wei Wuxian's past life before he was aliven't.

Read if you like:

Supernatural Mystery

Political Intrigue

Magic Chinese Men Surfing with Swords

Reincarnation story (not really, it's more of a body possession story but eh, it's basically the same)

A mischievous trickster shou x a serious gong (who is a beast deep inside—)

Tons of very, very interesting and fun casts of side characters and multiple possibilities of ships

Warning! Don't Read if you:

- Are not fond of dubcon or non-con (ahem, especially the extras)

Oh, for the kids out there who don't know what dubcon and noncon is: dubcon is dubious consent, where the the consent is not clear or somewhat 50/50, while non-con is straight up no consent. This is a mature work, so the consent here is applied to you-know-what. 

 - Are not fond of any R18 sheenanigans at all (Boy do I have tons of safe for work Chinese novels for you.) 

- Can't stomach gorey details (there's quite a lot)

 - Can't stand pages upon pages of angst and misunderstandings

Spoiler filled Personal Review:

(Read if you already finished the book)

-

-

-

-

-

Mo Dao Zu Shi is the first Chinese BL media I've consumed, first with the donghua, then the manhua, then the novel and some episodes of the live action. It is a very good introduction to the world of Chinese danmei, or any Chinese literature actually. I love the worldbuilding, MXTX is really good at that. 

Because it's my first, it holds a special place at my heart.But nothing is perfect as they say. I love MDZS, but it's not without faults. The more BL novels I've read, the more it got lower on my ranking, but not that low. It's still on my Top 5, at least. (as of the moment)

You see, romance isn't MDZS' strongest suit. It's the philosophy about morality and the changes that happens to someone because of events that are outside of their control. It's the brilliant planning and coming together of the events into one big puzzle that will blow your mind by the end of the story. MDZS has a very good plot, with a memorable, charming ensemble characters that are not just there to be extras, but matters to the plot and moves the story along. 

And I have to say, Xiao Yue and Song Lan side story is one of the most iconic and engaging side story I've ever read. It's painful as hell and keeps me up at night to this day.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan has a good relationship... but not exemplary. But they're good for each other, can't deny that. Lang Wangyi sacrificed a lot for Wei Wuxian. The build-up is good. The smut extras are... INTERESTING but um, I know from the get-go that not everyone is going to like them. Their relationship is not as deep or nuanced as the other two of MXTX works for me, they're a bit lacking in regards maturity. But it's not bad or immature, just compared to the others I've read, it's not the best. 

But the memes and the animatic community is just... Mwah! I love the MXTX community, they're so talented and funny. 

Anyways, this is my first love, and I love it for all it's ups and downs. I'm thankful to have this as my first danmei, it introduced me to a wonderful world and culture. 9.4/10 stars, let me know your own rating through the comments.