Chapter 3

Montgomery woke up to his ringtone blaring into his ear. He winced, rolling over and attempting to ignore it. He was unsuccessful as the ringing stopped. Then restarted, seemingly louder than before. He grabbed it and answered the call.

"Hel-" He started out before there was shouting from the other line.

"Are you alright?" He recognized Grace's shrieking on the other line, despite the fact that it hurt to listen to her. "We heard about your report and I had to call you!"

"We! Let me see the phone!" Leo's voice filtered through the speaker, clearly in the background. There was some rustling and then his voice came in through clearer. "Hey, sorry. Are you okay? We heard someone had broken into your room!"

"I'm fine." Montgomery shifted. He climbed out of bed and kept the phone to his ear as he picked up the box. "Just confused. They didn't do anything but leave a necklace and a letter."

"Someone's got a crush!" Grace yelled in the background. Montgomery could practically hear Leo's eyes roll.

"Well, at least you aren't hurt. You're going to talk to 5 about this, right?"

"Ugh, don't remind me that I have to." He groaned. "I just want to go back to bed."

"Then, we'll leave you to it! I've got to make sure we've got our mission reports done!" Grace had grabbed the phone back. "See you around!"

The phone beeped as she hung up.

Montgomery let his phone drop down onto the desk. He quietly got dressed, tucking the box and letter into his hoodie pocket. He'd have to talk to 5 about it, unsurprisingly. It seems like 5 is the only thing keeping S.P.Y. running.

It wasn't like he hated 5. Quite the opposite; he liked 5 a little too much. He had a crush. His friends constantly teased him about it. But he knew it would lead nowhere.

They're both secret agents, along with one being constantly targeted and the other being away on missions. But hey, a guy could hope.

He ducked out of his room, heading down the halls to where he knew 5's office was. He kept his eyes on his phone, scrolling through the various texts he had gotten through the night.

At least, he was until he crashed into someone. He winced as he realized they'd both been knocked to the ground.

"I wish you would look where you were going more often." 5 sighed as he picked up the papers he had dropped. "On your way to see me, I presume?

"Uh, yeah, actually." Montgomery's throat tightened. He stood, holding his hand out to help 5 up. "It's about the report I put in last night."

"Yes, the necklace." 5 accepted his hand and pulled himself up. "It's nothing you should worry about. I helped facilitate the action."

Montgomery blinked for a moment, trying to gauge whether it was a joke. Especially since it seemed like 5 wouldn't do any type of prank like this.

"Please tell me you're kidding," Montgomery replied.

"No. I assessed the situation and deemed that it would be alright." 5 lips drew up in a tight smirk. "You would be surprised how long it took him to convince me to do it. May I see it?"

Montgomery pursed his lips, taking out the box and handing it to 5. 5 plucked it from his hands and opened it. He examined the necklace closely, before nodding to himself. He quickly handed it back to Montgomery.

"Is that all?"

Montgomery nodded, dumbfounded. He shoved the box into his pocket and quickly made his way back to his room.