Part - 3

When Anokhi found out that Shaurya had not arrived in college, she got anxious. She did not even find Shaan on the campus, and asking anyone else was out of the question. After slight hesitation, she called Shaurya. The phone kept on ringing but he didn't pick up. She called him again. No response. Anokhi started feeling uneasy. Was it about last night's phone conversation? Did she cross the line?
Drops of sweat appeared on her forhead. Where can he possibly go?

As she sat there, on the same bench where she did the other day, she saw Shaurya's car entering through the gates. She stood up. No, she said to herself, she should behave this time. Ask him politely why he was late and if he felt uncomfortable about last night.
She watched him get down from the car. He looked weary. Did he sleep last night? He didn't seem so well. Anokhi walked up to him.

Good morning, PS! Anokhi forced a smile.

Shaurya looked at her for a few moments, lowered his head and walked past her without even uttering a word. Anokhi was shocked beyond everything. What kind of attitude was that? She felt as if her feet were frozen to the ground. How can Shaurya sir avoid her so bluntly? No, she had to know what was wrong. Without wasting another moment, she ran behind him, calling his name repeatedly.

Shaurya sir, rukiye...sir...please..rukiye.. mujhe aapse baat... Aahhh!!

Shaurya turned. Anokhi had tripped and fallen on the ground, scattering all her things around. He ran to help her. Anokhi pushed his hands away and got up without any help.

Chodiye aap.. main thik hu..

Shaurya picked her things up and handed them over to her.

She looked up at him. He avoided her gaze.

Anokhi - Aap mujhe ignore kar rahe ho?
Shaurya - Nahi to
Anokhi - Main bewaquf nhi hu sir. Mujhe saaf dikh raha hai ki aap mujhe avoid kar rahe ho.
Shaurya - ye tumhari galat faimi hai Anokhi. Aisa kuch nhi hai.
Anokhi - To aap meri taraf kyu nhi dekh rahe ho.. aur ye chasme kyu pehenke rakhe ho?
Shaurya - Eye infection.. mujhe eye infection hua hai..
Without a word, Anokhi took his shades off.
Hey! Kya kar rahi ho - Shaurya was stunned.
Anokhi - Aab bataiye. Kya prb hai? Kya kiya aab maine?
He couldn't tell her. He just couldn't. Shaurya's heart longed to give all the answers to her questions but he was afraid to cause her pain. He knew that she won't be able to take the truth.

Shaurya - Anokhi.. tum apni professor se baat kar rhi ho. Thoda lihaz rakho? I know that I am quite friendly with my students. I am not the conventional teacher. But fir bhi. Thoda to...matlab... U know what I mean...

Anokhi suddenly started feeling quite embarrassed. What the hell was she doing? Here he was, trying to draw a line, and she? She was being so stupid!
Anokhi tried hard to control her tears but failed. Shaurya turned away - Class mein jao Anokhi. And please concentrate on your studies. Jo tum karne ayi ho yahan.

Anokhi wiped her tears and left without a word.

As Shaurya watched her leave, he clenched his fists and took a deep breath.

Nhi bata sakta main tumhe Anokhi. Tum tut jaogi. Aur main nhi seh paunga yeh. I know tum kya feel kar rahi ho Anokhi. Par tumhe is raaste par aab akele chalna padega. You have to go back to what it was in the beginning. Kyunki aab main chahkar bhi tumhe kuch nhi de paunga. Mere haath se aab sabkuch, dheere dheere chutnewala hai.. mere sapne, meri zindagi aur mera waqt.

He recalled the doctor's words - Mr. Saberwal, I am sorry to say but you have ALS (Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis). Aur bht critical stage hai ye. I suggest you start the necessary treatment immediately. But I also recommend you to leave the country, if possible. London mein mera ek dost hai, neurosurgeon. Aap unse ekbar baat kar lijiye. And please, get ready to leave ASAP.

Shaurya watched the tiny frail figure of Anokhi fade away, as his eyes turned moist.