Chapter 10

Futago Pass was surely big, Spencer looked around him with opened mouth and with huge blue eyes. It made him pay no attention to his surroundings, and he almost stumbled over a small stone laying on his path. Yelping he fell forward, bumping into Benji who was knocked down along by him.
The two yearlings fell on the ground, sand and dust whirling up into the sky. The other dogs turned around to look at them in confusion, and GB moved to the pack of the group to make sure they were alright.
‘’What happened to you two?’’, he asked, frowning. ‘’Did you suddenly fall?’’
‘’I stumbled…’’, Spencer said and he blushed slightly, feeling quite ashamed. He got to his paws again, chuckling slightly as he met Benji’s annoyed gaze. ‘’I stumbled over a stone when I wasn’t paying attention.’’
‘’How could you be so dull? You should look before you.’’, Benji said annoyed and snorted, turning around and moving on. Spencer sighed in response, chuckling again as he now felt ev3n more ashamed. He said to Benji: ‘’I’m sorry, Futago Pass is just so big; it amazes me.’’
GB laughed and poked the German Shepherd mix with his paw, right at the shoulder. He spoke to Spencer as he winked at him, grinning. ‘’You really remind me of Weed sometimes.’’
The two dogs moved again, going after the others. Meanwhile Spencer looked confused at GB, wondering why he had said it. And he wasn’t going to keep it thought, he really wanted to know. ‘’Why do I remind you of Weed? And when?’’
‘’You sure are a curious pooch.’’, GB responded, still grinning. As they walked he looked at Spencer, smiling at him. ‘’Weed has always been a very curious dog, too. And he too was amazed by the beauty of Futago Pass and all the other parts in Ōu’s territory. And considering you accepted Ryota to come with you… you would be just a fair leader as Weed is today. He too gave others a second chance and saw a good side in them. He’s one of fair justice, just like you.’’

‘’Really? So I’m just like Weed?’’, Spencer asked, a smile on his face as he stared up at GB all excited. However, GB chuckled and shook his head, causing Spencer to stare at the ground with a sad look in his eyes.
‘’No, you’re not the same. You two have the same personality traits, but you are both different dogs. You both have your own life and your own story to tell.’’, the English Setter answered and Spencer looked up at him again, wagging his tail happily.
‘’Really? So I’m not exactly like him but we’re quite alike?’’, he asked and GB nodded, causing Spencer to squeal and run fast, passing all the others. ‘’I’m almost just like my hero! Now I really wanna meet him!’’
‘’Oh boy, sure is an interesting pooch. He’s almost just like Weed when that kid was younger.’’, GB said, laughing again. He started running now, too, the others following as well because they didn’t want to fall behind. ‘’Hold on kid, wait for us!’’
The group of dogs ran over the hills, Ryota being supported by the wolf called Yoru. As they reached down the hill a small river blocked their path, but it wasn’t very much an obstacle; Spencer jumped straight over it, and so did the others. Passing the small river they entered a huge dark green forest, a mixture of birch trees and pine trees all together.
‘’We’re getting closer to Ōu’s heart, Gajou. It won’t take long now till we reach the pack and get to see Weed and Gin.’’, Ken said as he ran just after GB, looking around him. his brown eyes were narrowed as he spoke. ‘’Though, it sounds oddly quiet… a bit suspicious out here.’’

‘’You feel it too, huh, Ken?’’, Kagetora asked, looking at the Great Dane, who nodded in response. ‘’There are no birds singing… I guess it’s those wolves hiding themselves in this forest. They seem to follow us for some reason.’’
With his last words he glared at Yoru, who was running in the back, carrying the wounded Ryota on his back. The black wolf was rather small for his age and breed, and quite slender, but he still had enough strength, making him able to support the adult Akita Inu who seemed to be asleep, his head hanging down, his brown eyes closed.
‘’Hey, wolf, where are your filthy friends, hmm? Those mutts, covered in fleas?’’, Kagetora asked, his voice sarcastic as he teased Yoru, trying to get the wolf out of its shell, but Yoru didn’t pay any attention to the Ken Kai’s words, he didn’t seem to bug. He just stared at the dog, almost like his multicolored eyes tried to stare right through Kagetora’s soul. ‘’Eh fine, have it your way… I don’t trust you.’’
‘’Shut up Kagetora. That wolf is wounded, too. Only slightly, but still; he’s no match for us. And if that kid called Spencer said he joined them and won’t harm us, then we better trust his words.’’, Ken said, looking at the Kai Ken. ‘’Didn’t Weed teach us to accept someone and give them a chance until proven differently?’’
‘’Yeah, guess you’re right…’’, Kagetora answered in a mumble, staring at the path in front of them. He didn’t feel like arguing with Ken over this anymore, because in the end Ken mostly was the one who was right about things.