Chapter 9

That Saturday I received an unexpected phone call

"Keita-kun, can you talk for a bit?" a woman's voice asked cheerfully.

"Amami-chan?" I cried out feeling stumped. Just when did she get my phone number?

"Ah, so you recognized me." She chirped like a young girl. "That's good. I wanted to ask if you want to have lunch with me?"

Lunch, huh? I guess both brother and sister care very much about this meal.

"Of course. Just tell me when and where and I will be there."

She gave me an address and we settled to meet at 1 p.m.

"Then, Keita-kun, I will see you there in a couple of hours." She said before hanging up.

The place Amami-chan chose was slightly farther away than the restaurant I went to for the meeting with Asakura-san. It was more like a bistro than a fancy restaurant. It served food and drinks and even had barbeque tables. I never would have expected a woman like Amami-chan to prefer this type of place. But I wasn't complaining. I for one liked it very much. The tables were small so only a few people could crowd around one, the place was large enough not to get too cramped and the service was good.

The moment I arrived, I saw Amami-chan already sitting at a table.

"Amami-chan, sorry for being late." Though I wasn't really late, I felt bad about letting her wait for me.

"No, I'm sorry for calling you out so suddenly. I hope I didn't inconvenience you too much."

"It's alright. I wasn't working. In fact," I said honestly. "I really needed a break so your call came at the right time."

"That's good then." She replied with a bright smile. "Come, let's order. The food here is amazing. I always worry about getting fat when I come here."

Halfway throughout the meal I began thinking that Amami-chan was acting a bit strange. Despite seeming cheerful and talking about all sorts of things, she wasn't saying anything about the true purpose of this meeting and I was beginning to feel nervous. Therefore, I decided to bite the bullet and ask.

"Uhm, Amami-chan, why did you want to see me?"

"My invitation might have come as a great shock to you, didn't it, Keita-kun?" She asked placing her chopsticks down on the table.

"I was just surprised."

"I called you here today to talk about Rin."

"Ku-Kurosawa-kun?" I blurted out in surprise.

"Yes. Masato-sensei, I do not know what happened between you two, but Rin has been acting very odd recently."

"I've noticed that myself." I lowered my head so she couldn't see my expression. "But why do you think it has anything to do with me? It might be due to work related stress or something else."