chapter 8

It's been three days and unexpectedly Jianguo was still with him. She just lazed around the hotel room and when Yibo came back from shooting, she just quietly observed him and finally went under the blanket to sleep with him.

Yibo quite enjoyed the feeling of coming home to something,  someone, that was waiting for him, and greeted him warmly, and smiled at him, telling him that food's ready. The only person that popped in his mind was Xiao Zhan.

He sighed.

This stupid… pipe dream… was creeping slowly and surely, poisoning his brain… and heart… with hope.

He sighed again and threw himself on the bed, thinking about the so-called pipe dream, the only thing that sustained him from having a breakdown.

"You have to see him now."

Yibo jolted up and looked around to see who was talking, but there was no one.

"You have to go to him, now. Please."

He knew, even without a doubt, that the he the voice mentioned was Xiao Zhan, and it was like his body had a mind of its own, he half ran out of his room and flew away on his bike, to see the person he wanted to see the most. Even when he didn't want to see him.

Less than thirty minutes later, he arrived at Xiao Zhan's cottage, and hesitantly knocked on his door.

There was no answer.

He knocked again, and still no answer. 

It took him another three seconds before he decided to hell with it and tried to open the door, which was unlocked.

Yibo went inside and noticed straight away that the house didn't feel like what it used to. Now it felt cold, and unwelcoming. Everything looked dull and grey, not vibrant and warm and welcoming like… was it just a few days ago?

He searched around the house but couldn't find Xiao Zhan, or any sign that he lived there. It was like the house… withered.

Yibo started to panic. Where was he?

Then a thought dawned on him. 

The river.

He broke into a run.

He found Xiao Zhan lying under the shadow of the willow tree near the river absolutely still and his heart fell. He rushed to Xiao Zhan's side and tried to feel his heartbeat by touching his finger to Xiao Zhan's pulse. It was faint, but it was there.

"What are you doing here?"

Yibo looked down and found Xiao Zhan was looking at him. There was a tiredness and shadows under those beautiful doe eyes and Yibo felt a pang in his heart.

"I was just passing by."

Xiao Zhan was quiet for a moment, then he chuckled.

"This place was way, way out of your usual route."

Yibo only coughed and he felt hot all over his face.

"By the way, Jianguo was with me, you know, in case you wondered where she went."

"I know."

Then the silence fell upon them once again.

After a while, Yibo looked down to find Xiao Zhan's eyes were closed.

"Zhan-ge, are you asleep?" 

He touched the runaway hair on Xiao Zhan's temple softly, and traced the outline of his defined jawline.

Too skinny…

"Do you know why he's in this state right now?"

Yibo was surprised to hear the familiar voice and turned around.

"Asuka." Yibo was surprised to see the source of the voice. "What are you doing here?"

"He exhausted his life force when he saved you from death." She walked closer to Xiao Zhan and Yibo instinctively shielded him with his body.

"Don't worry…" Asuka chuckled, "I won't bite." She then kneeled down beside Xiao Zhan and smiled so sadly while looking at the peaceful expression on his face.

"He was still the most beautiful creature in three realms, and in the end, you still fall for him. Again, and again, and again. Despite all of the hardness and the misery. And so does he."

Yibo was stunned with Asuka's words. 

"What are you talking about, Asuka? Do you know something that I don't? Do you know why he became like this? Tell me, please…"

"It's a very long story, but I want to know something first." Asuka turned her gaze to Yibo. "Do you love him?"

Do you love him?

Did he love Xiao Zhan?

He liked him, a lot. He knew that for sure.

Lately, when he saw Jianguo, he always thought of how he would like to go home to Xiao Zhan, who always had the most beautiful smile on his face, and all of his tiredness would melt away.

Did he love Xiao Zhan?

Yes.

He loved Xiao Zhan.

Asuka probably saw something in his expression, and it made her gaze softened.

"Then I should probably tell you everything."