Level 1

Silence, a word I have not heard for a long time. Silence no longer exists in this world. When I walk home, there is an endless noise. One that cannot be forgotten. Whether it's the incessant chatter of people, the creaks of the subway, or the sirens. Silence is nearly as mythical as daylight itself. I guarantee you Kioshi that many who live down here have never experienced that either. So please don't follow me to Heiwa. Stay at home, embrace the surface, and never ever look down.

-Your Uncle, Inoue

The creak of the seat was just the beginning, I was already questioning my decision. This lift felt more like a amusement park ride, well one that hasn't been maintained for over a century. I could see rust flakes falling upwards as we decended. Never have I been this far down. Hell I haven't left the city altogether. Maybe this was a mistake.

The lift screached to jolting stop and the attended led us out. The concrete walls were worn, the yellow paint that would brandish the name "Level 1" now only read "e l 1". The hum of machinery was as persistent as on the surface. It gave a somewhat familiar welcoming. Suddenly, a deafening scream of metal echoed from the nearby tunnel and a subway car similar to one Mr Odeki so fondly described in history. He never mentioned to wear earplugs though. Boarding the train I squeezed past the figures but tripped, a figure began to turn around. He was about twice my size and towered over me. "Be careful little girl, Deris is no place for a highschooler". Coming here was a mistake, but I can't go back.

Shaking, I caught my breath, was this place really as dangerous as Uncle had warned. He sent many letters telling me not to follow him but that had only spurred my curiousity even more. The train jolted to a halt, and before I realised I was being pushed with the mob towards the exit. I stepped out onto the station, it was elevated above many of the nearby buildings. I was astonished, this town lay on the edge of a cliff, you could see everything. It was beautiful. Skyscrapers stretched from the surface to the ceiling of the subterranean city that seemed to go on forever into the darkness. Cars hovered seamlessly along highways, a ghostly blue aura filled the everpresent darkness. The city felt alive, and the groans of machinery were like its pusle. Taking a breath I sighed and asked myself, "How am I ever going to find you and your library Uncle".