Chapter 14

A knocking has us twisting to look back at the doorway. Zane is standing there; I give him a small smile and wave. He smiles back. He waits for to find the remote so I can pause the movie.

   "What's up?" Hunter asks. 

   "We might have something. Jett wants you to stay here with Myra," Zane says. 

   "Got it," Hunter says. 

   "I can go home. There's no need for you to babysit," I say. Zane shakes his head. 

   "Until we find the people who did this, Jett wants someone with you at all times. You should probably ask your parents if it's okay for you to stay at Charlotte's for a little while." I glance back and forth between them for a few seconds. 

   "How long is a little while?" I ask hesitantly.

   "I'm not sure. It shouldn't be long. You can stay here or there, but Jett wants you close by." I stand up, shaking my head. 

   "My parents aren't going to let me just disappear," I protest. 

   "Tell them that a friend is hurt and you need some time." I let out a huff and let my head fall back so I can stare at the ceiling. 

   "Look, I'm sure Jett isn't happy about being kept waiting. How about you stay here for now and we can work something out when everyone gets back," Hunter says. "That sound good?" I sigh and nod.

   "Not like I was going to go sneaking in at three in the morning anyway," I mutter, sitting back down. Foot steps sound and I know Zane has gone. I don't say anything, just hit play and let the movie keep going. 

I glance over at Hunter, who's currently asleep. I need to think and I can't do that here. I need to drive. I get up and quietly make my way out of the room. It's still really late, but I'm hoping against hope that Charlotte is awake. My keys are on the kitchen counter and I snatch them up and quickly sneak out the front door. I dash across the grass to her place and make my way to the side of her house with her window. 

   I grab a few small rocks and start throwing them at her window until I see movement behind the curtains. The bleary eyes and pillow lines on her face tell me she probably wasn't awake. Oops.

   "Myra? What are you doing here?" she asks, her voice groggy. "And what are you wearing?"

   "I was hoping for some clothes," I whisper as loud as I dared. I really don't want to wake her parents. "I've been at the Stone's house. I fell asleep at the hospital and they drove me back here. I need to go somewhere to clear my head, but I can't do it in what I'm wearing." 

   "What - why- ugh, just come to the back door and I'll let you in," she says and disappears from her window. I rush to her back door and see here walking up to it through the glass. She unlocks it and ushers me in and up to her room quickly and quietly. "Where is it you need to go?"

   "I just need to go for a drive," I say quietly.

   She gives me an unconvinced look. "And you need to burrow my clothes to do that?" I shrug and she sighs. "Fine. Let's go for a drive. I'll grab you something to wear that'll fit you." I give her a confused look and she snorts. "Did you really think I'm going to let you go alone? Not happening. I'm going with you." She starts going through her clothes. "You're shorter than me, but I think I have some old leggings somewhere in here that don't fit me anymore. They should be right - aha. Here they are." She throws a mass of black cloth at me and hits me right in the face. The leggings fall into my outstretch hands. 

   "Uh, Char, I really don't need you to come," I start.

   "Nice try. Either you take me with or I'm calling Jett. I assume you're sneaking away like a thief in the night because he went into overprotective mode and doesn't want you to leave their sides, right?" She glances at me and I nod begrudgingly. "So that means if you want to go on your 'drive' you have to take me with you. Don't give me that look. Someone had the balls to go after the Stones directly. Whoever it is will have no problem offing you or me. At least this way you won't be alone."