No Rest For The Huanted

The Iron District Flag

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on Max, how about some quality time with pops while we fish?" Asked a middle-aged man with dusty overalls over his clothes. He had just walked into a kitchen where two small kids resided coloring pictures on paper. The kitchen had white cabinets, lots of iron pans hanging from holders, and a busted-up old gas oven.

The child looked at his father and said, "But it's too hooooooot!" The child put down his crayons and whined. Briefly, in the next room, you can hear a feminine voice say, "Your poor father been tend'in the fields all day. Would it kill you to get outside the house?" 

"Maybe!" He said back. The father wiping his sweaty brow told his son, "It'll be just you and me maxy, you should see the lake. It's nice, quiet, and full of catfish. How about if ya catch one we can eat it."

A little girl wearing pink clothes and younger than max said in discontent, "Noooo! We cwant eat t'he wata cats!" Hearing this the mother walked into the room putting some folded clothes down and hugged her daughter from behind while patting her head.

"Don't worry princess, we aren't gonna eat none of them cats anytime. Can you go and get me my hairbrush in my room?" She asked.

"Okie dokie mommy!" She said happily as she went running upstairs.

As she was out of eyeshot the mother looked at the father with a face that made him wince. "I guess we can also do catch and release, but! I forgot to ask! Do you remember when the kitchen appliance store closes today?" Quickly changing the topic, he asked his wife.

She softened up her face as she smiled sweetly at him. "I keep tell'n ya to drive there before eight John. You gotta give yourself a break from the farm and the military checkpoints close accord'n to curfew."

With a pained expression while stretching his back he said, "Naw I feel as better than ever. Just need to take a few spins with the haymakers and harvesters and we're done doodley done with the year."

The wife walked over to him sitting and rubbed his shoulders, "Just promise to take it more easily. By this rate, our kids are gonna need to send you than me to the retirement home."

"Yea, yea. I promise. Anyway, I still wanna take out my boy for sum fish wrestle'n WWE time." He said reaching over and ruffling the boys hair.

"Ok honey just make sure to be back before three. Y'all are gonna miss some of my cooking and the mosquitoes will make you outa food." She grabbed a basket of dirty clothes before walking off.

"Let's roll out Maks, Imma show ya all my secret power moves no video games or movies can teach you," John said enthusiastically while getting up.

The kid stopped what he was drawing and finally caved in as he said "Fine, let's go already."