Chapter 1: Reaping Day

September 13, 2147 the country of Panem, District 12

Electra POV:
I woke to the sound of my father's drunken shouting.

"Come on Electra!" he shouted. "It's reaping day."

I sighed heavily and rose from bed, my bare feet hitting the cold stone floor.

Reaping Day. The day when the 12 districts of Panem were forced to sacrifice one man and one woman to represent their districts in the annual Hunger Games, a bloody showcase of survival and death. Literal human sacrifice.

My father, Haymitch Abernathy, was the sole surviving victor of District 12. But sadly that didn't grant me any protection from the reaping, where my name would be entered five times.

A warm bath was prepared for me as my father laid out one of my mother's old dresses for me to wear.

My father sat at the kitchen table, a half empty bottle of white liquor clutched in between his fingers.

I rolled my eyes and went to get myself ready for the reaping. Apparently I had to look my best if I was chosen to be slaughtered.

Once I had readied myself, I helped my father into his suit, trying my best to clean the stench of old liquor from his body.

We had to be in the square at two. Attendance was mandatory unless you were on death's door. And then they'd send a group of Peacekeepers to make sure that was the case. If not, you'd be imprisoned.

When the sun rose in the sky, we headed into the crowded square, which was barely large enough to hold half of District 12's population.

I was roped off into a section of other sixteens, standing next to my best friend, Katniss Everdeen.

Effie Trinket sauntered onto the small stage at the center of the square, joined by the mayor and my father.

The Capitol seal appeared on the large screens that surrounded the square, followed by the usual reaping propaganda that they showed every year.

War. Terrible war. With those... Orphan... and motherless child. This was the uprising that brought our land. The districts rebelled against the country that fed them. Loved them. Protected them. Then came the peace. Hard fought. Solely won. The people. Rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. The freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. Peace-War as a nation. We would never know this treason again. And so, it was decreed... That each year. The various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute... One young man and woman. To fight to the death. And it peg you to honor, courage and sacrifice. The lone victor... Bathe in riches... Will serve as our reminder of our generosity... and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safe guard our future.

The seal shows for the last time as the screens go dark. The propaganda is over, but the show has just begun.

Straightening her powder pink wig, Effie speaks up. "Welcome, welcome! The time has come to select one courageous young man and woman who will have the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th annual Hunger Games. As always, ladies first!"

We all watch as she crosses the stage to a giant glass ball that holds the names of every of age female in District 12. Ruffling her hand around the ball to make things seem fair, she grabs a slip of paper.

A hush befalls the crowd as she crosses back to the stage, clearing her throat. "Electra Abernathy!" she calls.

My body freezes as the people clear a path to the stage. My father sits motionless, head held high as he tries not to show any sign of emotion.

Effie crosses to the ball that holds the boy names, selects one, and returns to center stage.

"Peeta Mellark!" she exclaims. The baker's son.

Peeta and I shake hands as Effie delivers her final address to the citizens of District 12. "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

And with that, we're escorted into the Justice Building, where we will say our last goodbyes to friends and family.

Katniss and Gale come in, hugging me tightly. Gale squeezes my hand, trying to keep me calm. "They just want a good show, that's all they want."

Katniss is in tears, which is a very rare sight. "Promise me you'll try to win," she says. "Promise me you'll try."

I nod. "Yes, Katniss. I'll try."

But I know the odds are not in my favor. There are 24 of us, and only one comes out.