Chapter 2

Adrian read to Claudia until Agatha stuck her head in the door, interrupting him.

"What?" Claudia demanded, unhappy that they'd been disturbed.

"I just wished to let you know that we're leaving, Madam."

"Oh. Goodnight, then."

Adrian continued, and Claudia sipped her brandy as he spoke the written words. She yawned loudly about an hour later, and he looked up from the book.

"I'm sorry," she said. "That was rude of me."

"Of course it wasn't," he replied. "You're tired."

She nodded.

"I am. I think I'll retire to my quarters. See you in the morning, Adrian."

"Goodnight, m'lady."

She leaned down and gave him a peck on the cheek before leaving the room, and he put his hand over where she'd kissed him after she'd gone.

Stop it, you fool, he thought. She's married. You wouldn't have a chance with her even if she wasn't, with your scars and silver hair.

He went to his room and laid on the bed after he'd undressed, still thinking about her. He finally fell asleep, chastising himself for feeling the way he did about another man's wife. He was awakened sometime in the night by the sound of his door creaking, and propped himself up on an elbow to see who it was. His vision was excellent at night because of what he was, and he saw Claudia standing in the doorway.

"What's wrong, Claudia?" he asked, sitting all of the way up while making sure that his lower half remained covered by the sheet.

"I had a bad dream," she whispered. "May I come in?"

"Of course," he agreed. "It's your house."

She walked to the side of the bed opposite him, then surprised him by climbing under the covers and scooting towards him.

"Hold me, Undertaker," she murmured. "Please."

"I don't think...," he started, but she put a finger to his lips.

"No one is here, Adrian. There won't be any gossiping because we rise early, long before any of the servants arrive."

"But," he began, but then decided not to argue with her.

She is the wife of my employer, after all, he thought. I should do as she says, although I'm pretty sure that Cedric didn't have this in mind when he hired me.

He laid back down, facing her, then held out an arm. She pressed herself to his chest, and he draped his arm around her back. He felt awkward, especially when she put her arm over his middle and squeezed even closer.

"Hold me, Adrian. Your arm being loosely flung across me isn't what I meant."

He obeyed, feeling like he was swimming in dark waters.

"Claudia, this isn't a good idea. What if your husband finds out? I'm certain that he wouldn't approve."

"He's not here, now is he? And who would tell him? You? I most definitely won't bring it up in passing conversation," she giggled.

"No, I won't tell him. He'd likely shoot me."

"Not that it would do him any good. Reapers can't die from normal means, right?"

"You are correct."

The sheets were bunched up between their lower halves, and she absentmindedly pulled them away.