Chapter 3

Claudia's illness returned a few mornings after Cedric had left for another trip, and she told Adrian that evening that she might start skipping breakfast.

"Maybe food first thing in the morning is upsetting my stomach for some reason," she said.

"Perhaps you should summon a doctor now."

"If it continues, I will."

It did, and she called the physician to the manor a week and a half after the discussion. She seemed somber that night when she joined Adrian, and he asked her what was wrong.

"I'm pregnant," she breathed, casting her eyes downward. "Can reapers make children?"

"I don't know," he answered honestly.

"The timing is all wrong for it to be Cedric's," she continued. "But he will never know that. Men don't usually keep track of that sort of thing, anyway. I believe that you're more than capable of getting a woman pregnant, my love."

His heart swelled, and he took her face in his hands.

"Please, Claudia. Let's go somewhere else. I'll take care of you and the baby, and to hell with the Phantomhive reputation. We can be a family."

"No, my darling. I just can't. I will allow Cedric to believe it's his child, but we'll know the truth. You're here all of the time anyway, so you can be the baby's father while he's away."

It was then that she noticed the tears streaming from his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Adrian. I know that this hurts you, but there's no other way," she said. "Will you abandon me now?"

"Absolutely not," he replied. "I just wish that we could be together as a couple, without having to hide our love."

"So do I, but it can't be helped."

"I know."'

"This," she started, putting her hand on his chest, "Will have to be enough."

"I'll take whatever time I can get with you."

"I was hoping you'd say that," she said, then pulled him to her.

She only had a cup of tea for breakfast the following morning, and he told her that he felt bad for eating in front of her.

"Don't worry about it, Adrian. You're a big man, and you need your sustenance. It's nice outside today, would you care to go for a walk in the woods behind the house when you're finished eating?"

"Of course," he agreed.

She put her hand in his elbow as they walked out of the manor, then leisurely strolled towards the treed area at the back of the house. Once they were deep in the woods, she turned to him with a smile.

"I can't get enough of you, Adrian. And I think the pregnancy is making it worse. Kiss me."

"What if someone sees?"

"We're too far away now."

He nodded, then leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. She held the back of his head, then jumped up into his arms.

"You weigh almost nothing," he chuckled.

"Wait until I'm further along," she smirked.

"I'm sure that I'll still be able to lift you."

"Of course you will," she agreed, then kissed him again.

He stepped to a tree, then held her against it.

"I want you," she breathed.

"Here? Now?" he asked, incredulous.

"Yes. We don't have to get undressed, you know."