Chapter 2 - Reversal

The trip to Starbucks was pretty much the usual. My friend, Nate, worked there, so he knows what I want.

I guess you could say Nate was pretty much everyone's dream guy. He was the best player on the football team, which a lot of girls are into these days. In fact, that never really made sense to me. How people would want to hang out with someone just because they're pretty or attractive. It's like choosing your cereal based on the color instead of the taste.

On the outside, Nate was a pretty cool guy. And, yes, he is attractive. But on the inside, he's kind of shy. He's also a total nerd. Nate is absolutely obsessed with video games. If you've seen his room, you would know. You could take every single piece of video game merchandise from his room and piled it all together, it would probably look like the Appalachian Mountains.

Nate was a senior and since seniors had this week off, he was working all the time. Once I walked in, he looked up and flashed that smile that could blind old people.

"Hey," I said as I walked over to the counter.

"You skipping school?" He asked, clearly amused by the situation.

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Yeah, sure..."

He chuckled a bit as he turned around to make my latte.

Okay, yeah. I love lattes. But, I'm not a white girl. Or maybe I am. I don't know. If I am, I'm not a typical one. I swear.

Before I knew it, I had my drink and went straight out the door.

Where to go now...

Some people say Ed Sheeran wouldn't inspire them to go somewhere. Well, oddly enough, I ended up going to the park. I'm not exactly sure how he inspired me to go to a park. He's just deep like that, I guess.

I sat down on a bench, even though it was nearly freezing out. I opened my book bag to find Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone. Apparently, I was too sleep deprived to realize I put it in here. I'm currently re-reading the series for like, what, the 8th time? Sounds about right.

Ah...where were we? Oh, yeah. Page 139.

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his hand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he rounded on Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.

"I like the book you're reading," a familiar voice pulled me back into the dark void of reality.

Skyler.

"Are you stalking me?" I spat, annoyed he interrupted my Harry Potter time. My fault for coming here, though.

"In a very strange series of events, it appears as if we keep running into each other. Otherwise, I think you are stalking me. You are sitting on that bench with the word 'stalker' written on your forehead...maybe you are just pretending not to know me but, really, you are just one of my former fangirls," he said.

Once he saw my reaction, he started cracking up. When he started to slap his knee, nearly falling over, I decided I should go. I put Harry Potter in my book bag, grabbed my drink, and started walking away.

"Hey...where are you going?" Skyler asked as he tried to catch up to me.

"Anywhere but here," I mumbled.

"Why don't we hang out sometime?"

"I don't hang out with guys I barely know, sorry."

"But we can know each other. C'mon...please? It's been so long since I've actually met someone who might like me just for who I am. Not Skyler Gisondo, teen actor. Skyler Gisondo. And just Skyler Gisondo."

I felt bad for him. I stop walking to look at his face. I could see it. Sadness. Loneliness.

I got out a scrap of paper and wrote down my number.

"Here," I said, handing it to him.

I cut him off before he could say anything else.

"I have to go, bye."

This time, I was walking away.

Just like that.

Author's Note:

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I will be updating Broken soon, I promise.

Xoxo,

Grace