Chapter 1

I sat down at the table and took a plate of eggs.

            "I have some news," my father said. My mother and I stopped to look at him. "One of the men I keep books for received invitations to a ball, but his wife has come down with something. He's staying home with her. He gave me the invitations as a favor."

            "That's splendid," my mother said. "So you're taking me to the ball?"

            My father shook his head. "I need to leave early tomorrow  morning on business." My mother looked down at the table. "I figured Jewel could go with one of her friends."

            I was shocked. "Me? Really?" I had been to some parties before, but nothing like that. I thought it would be amazing.

            "Besides," my father continued, "It would be a good chance for her to practice her social graces."

            So that was it. It wasn't about me having a good time. It was another part of his plan to see me married to that rich merchant's son. Why did everything have to be about that? Why couldn't I just live my own life for once?

*          *          *

            I ran the comb through my hair again, but it still didn't look right. I sighed in frustration. Then I heard a knock at the door and my mother entered.

            "Jewel, sweetie, you're going to be late if you don't leave soon."

            "I know, but I can't get my hair right. It's too curly."

            My mother stood next to me at the mirror and put her hands on my shoulders. "It looks fine. You're beautiful. What are you talking about? Come on, let's get you dressed and out that door." I set the comb down and let my mother help me put my purple velvet dress on. "This is so exciting, seeing you going to your first grand ball. You're going to have such a time! I remember when I was your age and my mother helped me get ready for this one party- But I'm prattling on." She did up the last laces and stuck a whale bone in the bodice. "There. You're all set." She turned me around and nudged me towards the door. "Now get going and have a great time. Oh, and stop to say farewell to your father on the way out. He'll be gone for a few days."

            I went downstairs and opened the door to my father's office. As usual he was at his desk, engrossed in his ledgers, letters, and other documents. He dipped his quill in ink and wrote in one book, set it aside, and jotted something down in another one.

            "Dad, I'm leaving," I said

            His quill paused and he glanced up. "Alright, then. Enjoy yourself." Then he went back to scribbling in his books, pausing occasionally to wet his quill, flick the beads of his abacus, or mumble to himself about tariffs, exchange rates, and other things I didn't understand. I stood alone in the doorway hoping he would say anything else to me.

*          *          *

            Sarah squealed with delight when I arrived at her house. "Jewel! This is going to be great. We're going to have so much fun."

            "I know. I can't wait." My excitement was starting to return and I was anxious to get to the party. I decided that this was going to be the best night of my life. We quickly set off.

*          *          *

            The house was an enormous mansion built from tan bricks. It made my home seem like a country cottage in comparison. It was three stories high, with beds full of flowers and hanging vines running along the entire side on each story, and two square chimneys. Tall columns supporting the front of the barrel-tile roof were set on either side of the doors.