Prologue ~ Scared To Death

He was dressed in a black long-sleeved Henley, unbuttoned enough to reveal the top of one of his tattoos, tiny skinny jeans, and Converse. A crimson scarf wrapped around his pale neck stood out starkly against the dark curls tumbling onto his shoulders. He was the most gorgeous human being I'd laid eyes on. And it wasn't just looks either. He was sweet, charismatic, and talented beyond words.

Of course, me being me, I did not approach him. Instead, I admired him from a distance, watching as he signed various pieces of paper and merchandise the pack of rabid fans thrust at him. I did not know how he handled things so fluidly, so calmly. I kept my distance, nervous at the prospect of being so near to him. I felt like a fool screwing up my one chance to meet this amazing man.

It was when he was turning to board the band's bus that he looked up and met my eyes. He gave me a confused look, like he wasn't sure why I didn't approach him. I shrugged and waved like a dork. Surprisingly, he waved back, lowering his hand slowly before entering the bus.

My heart ached watching him leave. Why couldn't I have at least walked up to him and said hi?

That question haunted me every single day for years.