Part One ~ The Sacrament Is You

"Hurry up, Autumn, you're going to be late to your own damn birthday party!"

I grimaced, pulling at my hair. It fell down my back in burgandy waves, slightly curled for the occasion. I had finished up straightening my bangs and was trying to figure out what to wear when my best friend yelled. Two outfits were laid across my bed in front of me, the objects of my inner dilemma.

"Get in here, Eden, I need your expertise." I opened my bedroom door and ushered her in quickly, folding my arms across the slip I wore.

She took a look at the clothes I had laid out and reached for the black corset dress with rich red accents. "You are going to be so hot! Don't forget to thank me later."

I flipped her off and took the dress, suddenly feeling shy about wearing it. I had fallen in love when I first saw it, and bought it on the spot, but had never even worn it. Oh well, it was past time to live a little.

I slipped the dress on and modeled for Eden. The look on her face said she definitely approved. "Aut, the dress is so perfect with your hair!! You're beautiful."

I grinned, but inside I didn't feel beautiful in the slightest. I stepped over to the vanity and applied just a little bit of blush and lipstick. I was never one to overdo my makeup, most of the time I didn't wear any at all.

"Okay, I think I'm ready." I said, slipping into my favorite black flats. "Let's do this."

The whole ride to the gorgeous mansion my party was being held at had me on edge. I knew Eden had a huge surprise planned for me but I had no idea what it could be. I was so thankful once we finally arrived that I practically jumped from the car.

"Autumn, you are so going to love me after this." Eden said, locking arms with me as we walked towards Vaile Mansion, our town's historical museum. I remembered how shocked I was when she said she booked it for my 23rd birthday. I didn't know how she managed half the things she pulled out of her sleeve.

She was stunning in her own corset dress, the crimson fabric stood out against her black hair beautifully. She'd fashioned it into an adorable updo, dark ringlets danced across her pale cheeks. Turning my attention back to where we were going, I giggled softly. What could she have in store for me...

All eyes were on us as we made our entrance to where my party was being held. I couldn't believe Eden had done all this, I didn't even know Vaile did parties. I noticed my parents across the ballroom, standing by the punch bowl. I waved and Eden and I walked over to them.

"Autumn, Eden, you girls look marvelous tonight!" My mom said, wrapping us each in a hug. "Happy Birthday, baby. I can't believe you're 23 now." She wiped at a tear in the corner of her eye.

"Yeah, it seems just like yesterday you were in diapers." Dad said, hugging me.

I rolled my eyes, "Thank God those days are far behind me." We talked for a bit and then Eden was dragging me away to the other end of the room, where a stage was set up.

"Oh my God. What did you do?" I stared at her in disbelief.

She put a finger to her lips and gestured towards the stage. "You'll see."

And then she was gone, prancing up to the stage like she owned the place and disappearing backstage. I wracked my brain, trying to think of who she could've possibly gotten to play for me.

I watched as a curtain raised, revealing the band's instruments and microphones. I saw keyboards and synths and my heart leapt. I stared at the floor and tried to breathe. No way, no way, she did NOT get them to play for me on my birthday. There is no way.

"Everyone, may I have your attention please?" I looked up as Eden's voice filled the ballroom. She stood behind a microphone, grinning. "Since I love Autumn so dearly, I wanted to give this special young woman a gift she would never forget. Please welcome to the stage, our favorite band, HIM!!"

I almost fainted on the spot. Tears streamed down my face as my favorite band walked out before my very eyes. I couldn't believe this was really happening. I thought maybe I was dreaming, so I pinched my arm only to realize that this was, in fact, reality. Eden rejoined me at the front of the stage as Ville took his spot behind the microphone. His eyes locked on mine and he hesitated for a second.

"The band and I...we wanted to wish you a very happy birthday, Autumn. I hope you enjoy it, darling." He smiled.

I felt myself blush. Then I was grinning so big I thought my jaw would shatter. My heart started to pound beneath my dress as Burton's gorgeous intro to The Sacrament began.

I felt myself fall into a place of feeling like I wasn't actually there, like I was in some sort of dream-like abyss. Everyone around me disappeared, it was as if it was just the band and I in that ballroom. I danced and sang along to Vampire Heart, the last song of the night. I couldn't believe it was almost over, let alone that it had even happened at all.

I was saddened that they had finished their set but when Ville gave me a look before following the rest of the guys backstage, I couldn't help but smile. I turned towards my best friend as we walked to the refreshment table. "Eden!!! How did you do it?? I...oh my God...HIM just fucking played at my birthday party!"

"A magician never reveals her secrets." She replied with a wink. "Now come here, the surprise isn't over just yet, my friend. There's someone I'd like you to meet."